Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zicaman

Problems with large file list downloads!!!

6 posts in this topic

hi!!! my english is not good, but i will try to explain..

i'm using apex 1.6.0.2165 and when i download a large file list, i can't see nothing, because after downloading, he's close...

anyone can tell me how i fix it?

Edited by zicaman
wrong apex version

Yes, I have the same problem. Probably it's a bug in ApexDC.

21 hours ago, Mek said:

Yes, I have the same problem. Probably it's a bug in ApexDC.

If the client doesn't crash or lock up, then it is just the user being impatient (and for those we have a handy command called "Browse Filelist", you can even make it the default action).

On a more serious note, the reason why large filelists can take a long time to open is because recursion is slow... this is true for C and C++ in particular because for each recursive call a new stack frame has to be built. Recursion has its merits but it almost never is fast (in these kind of languages, compiler optimizations aside) when it gets complicated enough, certain types of recursion can even be prohibitively wasteful (such as running identical calculation is multiple branches of the recursion tree, see fibonacci numbers.)

The reality of the situation is that any DC++ based DC client is old, to the point where what was considered a big filelist back then didn't create a big noticeable slowdown on client side, whereas what is considered big filelist now is an order of magnitude larger than what the filelist browser was originally built to handle. I also have to note that you can have a filelist in the magnitude of several TB's of shared data that opens just fine, this is the case when you exclusively share very large files, however, if you share that kind data amounts comprised of several thousands of small files then yeah it is going to be slow (especially if you have meticulously organized the files in a folder tree that keeps on growing in depth).

Edit: above is written with the assumption that the list is well formed... and to know otherwise I'd have to see the actual list that manifests these issues (preferrably shrunk to be as small of a list as possible).

Well, it's not about impatience, in fact, the filelist opens, in status bar it says "please wait, opening filelist" or something similar (cannot remember) and then the filelist tab just closes itself. I will try to remember posting such filelist here if I encounter it again.

Well that's a first I admit, would be interesting to see a filelist that gets it to do that... if you do come across it, please PM me a copy.

This is an old thread, but the issue still persists.

I can send you several FLs that wont open, if you are still interested.

EDIT: this is a serious issue, the only way to browse large files lists is to use the "Brows file list" option on a user, but then most of the directories can not be downloaded for some reason. When selected for download, they dont appear on the download queue and dont download.

Edited by 3dfx

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0