agreenman

What exactly is +test testing?

4 posts in this topic

+test is not a command of Apex, it's a command of the hub (like any +command). Try asking on the hub, maybe the hubowner or operators know the answer :)

Okay, thanks! We're using ADCH++ if anybody would happen to know off the top of their heads.

I'm sure the answer could be found by digging through the source code. I'll see if they've got anything over at the ADCH++ website, but I doubt it, seeing as documentation for these little things is rather sparse!

EDIT: For anybody interested, poking through the source code shows that the +test command is basically a way to make sure you can communicate with the hub. Presumably if the hub didn't respond back "Test ok", then there's a disconnect somewhere. It appears to mostly be a way for devs to test their clients to make sure that the most basic, high-level connection between the client and hub can be made.

I would assume the same applies to the test commands of other hub software!

Yes, that looks reasonable. Most people test their connection (and if there is any lag) by sending "." in the chat but that has the side effect that everybody can see it. So the +test command has the advantage of doing the same but in a non-annoying way for other users :)