Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
j7n

Users with Short Central European Names

3 posts in this topic

I have noticed that some users pick strange, short, Central European (Czech, Polish) sounding nicks, prefixed with Cable, DSL or ADSL in parentheses. Those users do not in fact come from Central Europe, as verified by their IP.

For example:

[DSL]Ciodz1
(Cable)Kiorh
(adsl)Dosz
[DSL]Dzac

I know that having a certain prefix might cause other users to treat them differently, for example, giving more speed or more slots, but cable or dsl aren't group names (like [ARC] is for example).

What is the reason for them to pick these odd sounding names?

Prefixing nicks with supposed connection type/speed has been going on in DC for as long as I can remember.

As for why their nicks otherwise are of similar I can not say, the first thing I would do as a hub owner if I saw multiples of the kind of users you describe is check whether they share obvious viruses (such as small exe files with names that would fit other file types better, or the same thing but zipped). Because those nicks smell randomly generated.

There were times when more hubs required prefixes, with speed and type of connection but also with country flag. Not many does that nowadays :) Some of those nicks I found to be bots etc (randomly generated - as Crise said), never could get file list either. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0