hush462

Problem with Apexdc++ freezing on Windows 8.1

4 posts in this topic

Just wanted to post that i am having the same problem trying to run ver. 1.5.8 on windows 8.1, it was actually working fine but then i had to refresh windows and reinstall everything. I am not on any hubs ive just been trying to hash files. Also this happens with all dc++ programs rsx++, strong, eskalit they all hang up my pc so i have to hard reset. It also does this when i am offline.  Ive given allowances for them on my firewall and scanned with norton avg and malware bytes, so i have no viruses. So atm i have no idea what else to do to get it to start working again.

If you are having problems with hashing... try to disable "Fast hashing" there is an option for it in Advanced settings... also for larger shares it might help to add parts of the files in share first and wait for them to hash and then add the rest gradually.

DC client programs in general are poor at handling extremely large shares (in the terabytes range) consisting of numerous of small files in more ways than one, mostly because at the time when these programs where originally created such shares were extremely rare (since at the time to have that kind of storage space was expensive, when DC was firs conceived it was a big thing for the entire DC to have more than a terabyte of shared data).

Maybe an ugly workaround could be OS detection and silently switching to compatibility mode? Or just install with Win 7 compatibility? Do we support XP?

Maybe an ugly workaround could be OS detection and silently switching to compatibility mode? Or just install with Win 7 compatibility? Do we support XP?

We do, for now, we have some plans to collect some data on the matter (opt-in, of course) and make the final decision on it based on that.

Windows XP EOL is coming fast (Q1 of 2014), which means that beyond Visual C++ 2013 it is extremely unlikely XP will be supported in any capacity by the compiler (even with 2012 and 2013 it is a major inconvenience) and as such eventually XP will be dropped. How soon would be determined based on any statistics we have or are able to get before the XP EOL by Microsoft.