Lee

blog 2.0 Development: Mac OS X

62 posts in this topic

Every since we first introduced PeerWeb DC++ in 2005 one of our main goals has been to provide cross platform support and distribute our program to Linux and Mac OS X users. This article focuses on Mac OS X development and offers users a chance to test the future of ApexDC++ 2.0. We will publish a progress update on Linux development separately. 

Back in 2010 we announced an >integration with OpenCandy to monetise installations and provide a stable base for our cross platform development. Due to this we were able to >advertise a job for porting our program to wxWidgets (a cross platform GUI tool kit) and eventually hired Gevorg, who has years of wxWidgets experience and regularly submits patches back to their development team. His experience has been a valuable asset to the project and we are now in a position to show off our progress for the first time:

Mac-OS-X-thumbnail.png

ApexDC++ 2.0 running on Mac OS X Mountain Lion - Click to enlarge

The DC++ base library has always been Linux friendly due to the contributions made by the LinuxDC++ project. This meant our main focus has been getting the interface up to scratch and working on all major operating systems. During this phase we have decided not to include a few features/options present in 1.5 that we feel are not used as frequently, which has helped with the overall resource consumption compared to 1.5. Some other features that aren't present haven't been forgotten about and are in our development tracker for us to tackle in the future.

svngraph-thumbnail.png

Comparison between wxWidgets (2.x) / WTL (1.x) branch activity - Click to enlarge

Impressed? Good. We are asking for dedicated Mac OS X users to come forward and reply to this post to receive exclusive access to our development channel. These lucky few will be responsible for testing the recent changes our developers have committed to the wxWidgets branch on a regular basis (see above, we commit changes often!) and report it in our tracker or directly to the development team. We supply you with login details to our private testing hub where you can provide feedback and discuss future features. Furthermore, these testers will help us make the decision on what left over features from 1.5 should be ported over before the general public get hold of it.

Think you're up to the task? Reply to this post with something interesting and we may get you in. Otherwise wait for that public beta release.

Hi!

i have been using DC++ on windows .... recently bought a mac, frustrated that it doesn't have any good DC client >< 

searched google and found this , the best at the moment!

i am in a college and we heavily relay on DC for sharing data on LAN!! (50gb per person per day! almost (movies tv shows games etc etc everything is shared on LAN ))

currently using shakespeer but it's quite buggy (downloads wont resume sometimes and when finished wont move to completed folder small bugs.. and not to mention it hasent updated in a while (4 years  :P ))

Would LOVE to try this out!!! (actually made this account just to express my interest!)

LEE would you please send the invite!  :D

-dedicated mac os x user.

-although i bought it recently but i now  know more than any of my friends about mac

-dedicated DC user

-love to report even the smallest bugs

and when are you planning to release the first public beta!!?

I have purged a few accounts that haven't been active.

Hi!

i have been using DC++ on windows .... recently bought a mac, frustrated that it doesn't have any good DC client >< 
searched google and found this , the best at the moment!

i am in a college and we heavily relay on DC for sharing data on LAN!! (50gb per person per day! almost (movies tv shows games etc etc everything is shared on LAN ))

currently using shakespeer but it's quite buggy (downloads wont resume sometimes and when finished wont move to completed folder small bugs.. and not to mention it hasent updated in a while (4 years  :P ))

Would LOVE to try this out!!! (actually made this account just to express my interest!)
 LEE would you please send the invite!  :D
-dedicated mac os x user.
-although i bought it recently but i now  know more than any of my friends about mac
-dedicated DC user
-love to report even the smallest bugs
and when are you planning to release the first public beta!!?

Nice speech. You've been promoted. ;)

Hello,

I am a regular user of EiskaltDC++ on OSX. I've been using DC for quite a while to share my interest in live audience recordings. Someone told me that a Mac version of ApexDC was being developed so I figured it would be interesting to take part in the beta testing phase since EiskaltDC is the only relatively good client I could find but it still doesn't suit all my needs.

I'm experienced in software development and testing so I would be glad to share my thoughts and help the community by testing this Mac version.

Thanks to have considered my message :)

Hi,

I have two Windows PCs and two Macs. I have been using shakespeer as my DC++ client on Macs. It's okay but not great.

I'm studying at university for my final year and know a thing or two about computers. I would gladly share my thoughts and try out the beta version of Apex DC++.

Yours sincerely, Erik

Hi,

I am an avid user of Mac OS X. Currently I'm using Shakespeer but I am utterly disappointed in it. I would love it if you could send me an invite and I could test Apex DC++ for you. Hope to hear from you :)

Hi!

Find You over internet browsing, searching for working DC client.

For now i'm using EiskaltDC++, but not satisfied.

I own a few Macs MBPpro 2008, MBPro 2011, imac 2010(which i use as a server and main DC client), MBAir 2008, MacBook Black 2007, MBAir 2011. Also have acess to newest models on my work.

So, i can help testing on different hardware and versions of MacOS, examine stability.

And of course I can help You to test (or create, if You don't have) a ru localization.

I believe You can create Best-in-a-World DC client and i can help You in it by giving very usefull feedback.

Invite me, and i'll begin to work immediately.

I use Apex DC on my Windows laptop for many years, now i have a MacBook and i want to use Apex DC on my new laptop. I want it so much!!! I wanna test it! :)

I'm a long time mac user. I'd like to get an invite too. Current OSX clients are either old and no longer maintained or too buggy. Right now I'm stuck with Jucy, but given its written in Java, it's a real memory hog.

I'd love to give Apex a try.

I also work as a sysadmin and I do software testing on daily basis.

Dear Lee and Management, 

I would love to test out the Mac-Version of ApexDC.

Could you please send me an invitation?

Greets 

Macnum

Of course Massi. Welcome to the team. :)

Really frustated of shakespeer, need to use bootcamp to use apex, invite me please :(

Hi,

I'd love to help test the OSX version!  I know the NMDC protocol fairly well, as Ive written several pieces of software that utilize the protocol (console bot, hub, chatbot, etc).  I've run a few different clients on OSX - Shakespeer, Jucy, and now EiskaltDC++.  I'm quite capable with packet sniffers and debug tools, so I could contribute useful bug reports.  Also, having written a bot that works on Linux and OSX, I am experienced with some of the primary differences between a Windows version and an OSX version (filename character encoding can be a headache).

Even if you don't want/need my help with testing, thanks for targeting OSX, and I eagerly look forward to being able to try the client out!

btx

As a Mac OSX Mavericks User i would like to have an opportunity to Test Apex Dc++ on my Mac.

Have loved this app on Windows

ZPK: First of all your link was wrong and second, you can't download those files without a password anyways.

Also there is a reason why these builds are not generally available. Past experience has shown us that once a build is sent out there it stays out there. Because these versions are early and have a considerable amount of issues, some more severe than others. We would rather not find them hanging out in the open year down the line.

Another reason is that it is more practical, because our version control is not public currently and we are not prepared to keep a full source archive of every uploaded build (for multitude of reasons server resources being one of them) it is currently more manageable to handle GPL on per request basis (ie. make a source archive available when someone with access to said binary requests it, see the GPL, version 2, FAQ or license text for more details).

For the record, currently for non-windows systems access is generally given for anyone requesting it... just that it might take some time :).

SamuelBift and handythurry like this

Hello Lee and hello Apex Dc++ Team,

long time dc++ user, could you please send me an invite for osx version ?

Does it work with snow leopard ? (10.6.8 actually)

Thanks !

handythurry likes this

I would also like the opportunity to test the mac client; please add me to the list if possible.  I've used the Windows version ApexDC++ for several years now.

Thanks!

Jason

Hi Lee, I have been an avid ApexDC++ user for the past five years (Uni. Net.), on Windows. I have recently, made a sort of permanent shift to Mac OS X. I love Apex DC++, and it would be super swell if I could get an invite to experience ApexDC++ 2.0 for Mac.

P.S.: It would be awesome if we can be able to make Apex DC++, a full screen app, in OS X.

Hello! 

Have been an Apexdc++ user for years!! for christmas i got a new macbook pro and now i'm stuck on osx with no good dc++ client.  I'm very interested in testing out this beta version :D please give me a link and let me test it??  thank you very much!!

Hi

I really need apex dc for my macbook pro as I am not able to connect to my college network it would be great if you can give an invitation. 

Thanks in Advance 

For all those who haven't been granted access yet... we are going to open up development fairly shortly so you can take a peek yourselves.

Stay tuned for an update. :)

Shnapps likes this