mathiasthebold

Basic question concerning hashing folders on network HD

3 posts in this topic

Greetings everyone. I'm a new user of ApexDC, having had the program recommended to me by a friend recently. First off I just want to say thank you for providing this software. I am very pleased with the sheer amount of content accessible through it. Truly incredible.

So, I have a question concerning the amount of time it takes to hash files that are stored on a networked HD. In my case, I want to share about 700 GB of music (80,000+ files). ApexDC is telling me that this will take in excess of 200 hours (over a week). Is this a normal amount of time, given that the network is Wireless G? (Each file is hashing at roughly 2.5 MiB/s).

I ask this because I am more familiar with programs like Soulseek where indexing only takes a few minutes at most, even for large amounts of data.

I'm just wondering if someone can explain to me, without getting too much into the weeds, so to speak, about why the hashing/indexing process takes so long. I've looked elsewhere on the forum and I can't seem

to find anyone else who has asked this question regarding hashing time.

Thanks again.

Hello,

good question. To hash a file, Apex needs to download every byte of it. It takes so much time because of slow network speed. I would recommend connecting via cable, then you could get like 12 MB/s or even more if your hardware is 1Gbps-capable.