ejjrooom

Search - Results list filtering improvements

3 posts in this topic

Suppose a search returns the following file names as results:

i) abc def ghi

ii) abc def jkl

iii) def mno

iv) mno pqr

Currently I can enter "def" in the "Search in results" text field with File selected, and it will filter and display only the first three names above. But something like "abc def" or "abc AND def" doesn't work to display only the first two names. So my top suggestion would be for full boolean operator support.

However, if AND OR NOT or + - present problems (since these can be present in file names/paths as well), then an alternate suggestion would be to have two text fields - one "Include in results" and the other "Exclude from results". Each should be capable of filtering using multiple words separated by a space. So for example Include = abc def should display files i) and ii), but adding Exclude = ghi would display only file ii).

Also, I know that - or minus can already be used to exclude results while searching itself, but the problem with this is that there is no way to retrieve the excluded results without searching again, which might result in a repeated/duplicate searches warning if done too quickly. Having boolean operator support or include and exclude text fields would mean that users can dynamically filter the results as required, without having to search the connected hubs again.

Study this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression and I am sure you will find what you want ;)

Wow, that field supports RegEx? :blink: That's cool, and serves the purpose just fine. Very nice indeed. :)

Although again, I must say that when such a great feature is made totally undiscoverable, that's just bad UI. No two ways about it. Even a simple tooltip to that effect would have made things so much easier, 'cos how many people would out of the blue think of entering a RegEx there?