Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dontreallybugme

Save settings/favourites BEFORE exit, remove autoconnect favourites

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I have the following requests for features/bug fixes in ApexDC++

1. Save favourites on the fly
  2. Don't wait until exit to save preferences to the config file (do this when the dialog is closed)
  3. REMOVE THE AUTOCONNECT OPTION FROM THE DEFAULT HUBS! I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH (so I'm using uppercase)!

These requests all relate to one core issue that I have been having with ApexDC++, and that is stability while hashing. Every single time I use it, the program has crashed during hashing and lost all of my preferences, shared folders and favourites.

It also annoys me immensely that I'm also autoconnected to two hubs, which I do not want to join, nor do I want to share files with (who the hell thought having to opt out was a good idea?). Because the program never exits gracefully, this setting is never saved, and I'm forced on to the two servers every time I launch the program.

For the sake of reference, this is encountered using ApexDC++ 1.5.3 on Windows 7 (x64) with all available driver and Windows updates installed. I've tried (separately) hashing varying amounts files on different drives, as well as on network shares. All exhibit this stability issue. A recent reinstall has also provided no relief from the pain.

It also annoys me immensely that I'm also autoconnected to two hubs, which I do not want to join, nor do I want to share files with (who the hell thought having to opt out was a good idea?). Because the program never exits gracefully, this setting is never saved, and I'm forced on to the two servers every time I launch the program.

Yes, this annoyance should be removed (my humble opinion, that is).

For the record ApexDC does save settings at certain intervals, I recall it is set to 10 minutes (can be changed by editing the xml file manually).

Common issue with saving settings is that ApexDC may be installed in a directory were it does not have write permission by default (eg. under Program Files in recent versions of windows). In such cases moving ApexDC to a non-system partition is preferable, alternatively you may (using the installer) opt to store settings within your windows user account also resolving the problem (however, if multiple installations for the same user account is something that is needed, this solution will not work).

If you are having stability issues in regards to hashing, please turn off "fast hashing" in the program settings (under Advanced).

Regarding default favorite hubs: in the next major version (2.0) we will introduce a way to opt out of ever connecting to these hubs on first run, however, for 1.x (as well as existing installations) the behavior is unlikely to change. The only way to opt out from these hubs being added with current versions is to add a Favorites file with at least one valid favorite hub in it before application is launched for the first time.

Regarding opt-in vs opt-out, the reason for it not being opt-in is because it is intended as a simple demonstration of the concept of hubs (as well as some of the less obvious new features related to them) for new users (unfortunately there is currently no way to tailor this experience based on language or other user data, 2.0 will in due time bring a much changed and improved "new user experience"), if you are already aware of what a hub is and how to find and use one, then the assumption that you already have at least one hub you frequent or know of is valid.

Edit: also there is an fairly undocumented keyboard shortcut to suppress most automated actions at program start up, simply hold down shift, this includes the opening of settings dialog on fresh install as well as any automated hub connections.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0