Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lee

Why do you prefer Direct Connect?

32 posts in this topic

Slowness of DC++? Then you are NOT in the right hub, They actually would come faster on DC then most releases on Torrent etc. I would estimate an 2 hour delay after release. +/-

Considering BT and newsgroups max my connection it's kinda hards to beat, especially when not all the stuff on newsgroups is stuff hundreds of people have, same goes for a lot ofbittorrent sites. However, when getting popular files from large hubs I can max out also, most of the time I'm not even getting files which I can get multiple source for with DC anyway. :)

Considering BT and newsgroups max my connection it's kinda hards to beat, especially when not all the stuff on newsgroups is stuff hundreds of people have, same goes for a lot ofbittorrent sites. However, when getting popular files from large hubs I can max out also, most of the time I'm not even getting files which I can get multiple source for with DC anyway. :)

actually grogs it's not that hard to beat, just find some user with [LYSE]-prefix and you should be getting pretty dam good speeds :unsure: (when you combine that with segmented downloading from other sources you should easily get speeds near to BT or newsgroups)

When I said hard I meant impossible. It's possible that I could get higher speeds if my connection was better. As it is, I can't go over my max atm.

OK my 2 cents worth.. Coming from Filetopia I stumbled on Sharezea which in turn led me to the PW site.. but I keep finding files that were not named what they really are and got tired of many g2 music files.. was gettin really angry about it.. and movie vids too.. pain in the butt.. so I found ares.. a smaller p2p with info on PW forums. got into DC, and got in touch with Kevo... The rest is history. Now I am a founder of a DC network of 14 hubs with 4 more wanting to join, op in over 40 hubs (I dont frequent all of them in one client) and Co own TechGeeks Online. Using Bit torrents usually trashed my connection and half the time I was uploading more than downloading so seemed pointless. With DC I got the chance to help people. I'm a geek at heart.. been "Playing" with PC's over 22 years now.. and still learning.. So it gives us a chance to give back. Our philosophy with our network is "Pride in what we do" Just ask any member of The Ascendent network, of which many are here in these forums too..

OK, ran outta cents.. so done for now.

Hi,

For a long time I was wary of trying any kind of filesharing program.

Then someone mentioned Bearshare to me. Well i thought if they are happy use a p2p program, I'll give it a

go.

I used it for a short while, but got fed up with the ads.

In the meantime and or afterwards, I tried other clients including Limewire.

But the first one I stuck with for a long time was either soulseek, or Filetopia.

I loved Soulseek because it had lots of music, i wanted to get.

What I didn't like about it was some of the ignorant messages, people had.

But eventually I had to give it up, because it kept freezing on me.

Around the same time ( i think) I tried Filetopia.

I guess it was the phrase "public key encryption" that attracted me to it.

I am a fan of oldtime radio, and other kinds of radio such as bbc plays.

I found a lot of oldtime radio on Filetopia, but not much bbc stuff.

One day, I mentioned this to a guy (think it was a guy :) on Soulseek, and he told me about Direct connect.

Actually I had tried Direct connect before, but couldn't figure out how to set it up.

Anyway this person helped me set up, and also told me of at least one private hub where bbc plays could be got.

Later i brought some people from Ft over to Dc.

We decided the difference was that Ft was better for chatting, but Dc was better for downloading.

But that was before I discovered, that it really depends what room you are in on Ft, and what hub you are in on Dc.

I still connect to ft, now and again. But I've found that the chats in thr rooms I have in favourites are few and far between.

I stick to private hubs on Dc , and have around 30 in my list. But, no i don't have them all open all the time. it's usually a maxium of six.

sometimes i can't find a file, in private hubs, so i'll try public, or i'll try another client.

my biggest gripe about Dc is that all clients are not compatible with each other.

Overall though, i think it's the best.

M

Many things are beginning to happen with most of the newer clients. with the shut down of p2p's all over the place. DC is getting a major boost in public awareness. I have a feeling that you will find compibility less and less of an issue. unless the user is too stubborn to upgrade. I am from the old FT your welcome to Contact me via TechGeeks (in your favorites by default in PWDC) , we probably know some of the same ppl. I used to run my own chat room for Ascii Art. and a few others. DC is not centralized so you cant "take it down" you may take down a small network of hubs but not DC itself.. so I got a feeling its only gonna get better.. Also, Irish If it helps TechGeeks is not only the support hub for PWDC and soon Apex when released, but also its a Computer Support hub for ALL users. So if you need help, Holler, We would be glad to help.

Many things are beginning to happen with most of the newer clients. with the shut down of p2p's all over the place. DC is getting a major boost in public awareness. I have a feeling that you will find compibility less and less of an issue. unless the user is too stubborn to upgrade. I am from the old FT your welcome to Contact me via TechGeeks (in your favorites by default in PWDC) , we probably know some of the same ppl. I used to run my own chat room for Ascii Art. and a few others. DC is not centralized so you cant "take it down" you may take down a small network of hubs but not DC itself.. so I got a feeling its only gonna get better.. Also, Irish If it helps TechGeeks is not only the support hub for PWDC and soon Apex when released, but also its a Computer Support hub for ALL users. So if you need help, Holler, We would be glad to help.

Hi

I wasn't sure if you were responding to my bit or somebody elses.

Well i do know people who stick with older clients.

But I'm the kind of guy who likes to try out new things.

I have tried Pererweb, but as i mentioned in another post, i get the same problem as i got with Strongdc 9 and ten; some private hubs will show up for a millisecond {approx :)} as public hubs. so i get messages like

"please close the public hub"

So I'm sticking to lwdc and sababa at the moment.

There doesn't seem to be much difference between lwc and peerweb.

yes, i think when i did try pwdc, there were two hubs in favourites. Was one of them techgeeks.

But it was a public hub, and I stick to private mostly

As for knowing the same people in Ft, well the only two rooms in my favs are the otr one and the audiobook one. Of course i have visited others.

As for computer support, maybe you can tell me why my moniter goes blank intermittently.

and how i can program manager to run on a 64 bit machine. :)

M

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0