Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YouKnowWho

SFV checking

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

it's been in Vanilla DC++ for quite some time but doesn't seem to have been merged into Apex: SFV checking.

When an SFV file is downloaded, dc++ checks the CRC32 of the referenced file and if they don't match, the file is not shared and the user is notified via System Log.

I find this a very useful feature to prevent polluting hub shares of same files, and also to check for problems in one's own share after disk corruption has occurred. Please consider adding it. Thanks.

BigMuscle, let me clarify so you understand better. A file can get corrupt during download or after download. TTH can only check what happens during download, and at best you'll get a "TTH mismatch" if anything goes wrong. But if a file is changed afterwards, through disk corruption, or in the case of music files through tagging, the TTH will change. TTH checking can't do anyting then because the file would just be shared, albeit with a different TTH. In most cases, this is not desireable if many users want to download/share the same file. SFV checking on the other hand alerts the user that something has gone wrong with his download or shared file and dc++ WILL REFUSE to share it (if the option is active), thus preventing similar file names with different TTH. This is a user preference in dc++, and for my hub it's something we would want activated.

I second the request.

TTH is good to verify the DL is the same as the shared file.

SFV is good to verify the seeder shared an original file.

After the supposed merge with latest dc++ in Apex 1.5 this feature is still not there, even though it's present in dc++. Files with wrong SFV checksums are still shared. Please fix.

After the supposed merge with latest dc++ in Apex 1.5 this feature is still not there, even though it's present in dc++. Files with wrong SFV checksums are still shared. Please fix.

Well yes, it is not like we took every single code change from DC++, we merge the updates relevant to us. SFV checking in DC++ is not a new feature, it was just recently re-added. We did not have the said feature before, when it was still in DC++ in its original form, why would we automatically include it now. That said I am all for reconsidering said feature.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0