socialbreakz

My ideas for the next version

8 posts in this topic

Hi. I'm using the wonderful ApexDC++ client for the last two years. So i wanna tell you now, what ideas i have got, even if I'm not a programmer, just a musician. :)

1. Is it possible to migrate OpenSSL in the next version and set up encrypted file transfer as default? I think it's a wish of many users to down- and upload more secure in a encrypted way. There are just a minimum of users which using the encryption. We should make it more easier to activate encrypted file transfer. The ISP doesn't need to get too much informations. Maybe there's another way to make it working without setting ports in the router?

2. In some (good) hubs, not in those chaos ones, segmented downloading is forbidden and not wished. Can this option be turned off by default?

3. If my internet connection break down, some hubs does auto-reconnect very late, so maybe it's good to setup the time auto-reconnect in the settings. What you think about this idea?

4. I want that the userlist table got always the same size in every hub. Possible? Maybe it's possible to put on / off this option in the settings.

5. A migration of PeerBlock *which works* would be fine.

6. Is it possible to read the messages of the main chat without getting the hub tabs font in fat style?

7. When I'm connected in more than 2 hubs, sometimes there is downloading a user from me who is inside in more than 2 hubs. Is it possible that they could download from me only from one hub?

What you think about these ideas?

Hi. I'm using the wonderful ApexDC++ client for the last two years. So i wanna tell you now, what ideas i have got, even if I'm not a programmer, just a musician. :)

1. Is it possible to migrate OpenSSL in the next version and set up encrypted file transfer as default? I think it's a wish of many users to down- and upload more secure in a encrypted way. There are just a minimum of users which using the encryption. We should make it more easier to activate encrypted file transfer. The ISP doesn't need to get too much informations. Maybe there's another way to make it working without setting ports in the router?

I think if there was a better option (not requiring forwarding of more ports) then it would have been already implemented. Somebody prove me wrong :)

2. In some (good) hubs, not in those chaos ones, segmented downloading is forbidden and not wished. Can this option be turned off by default?

Just your opinion. There is nothing bad about segmented downloading unless all people have 100Mbit down/up with 1 upload slot.

4. I want that the userlist table got always the same size in every hub. Possible? Maybe it's possible to put on / off this option in the settings.

For me it is preserved. I don't remember changing anything in the settings, though.

5. A migration of PeerBlock *which works* would be fine.

Do you think about something like IP blocker? There was one in Apex but it got removed because there "are" better solutions - software devoted to doing just that. But according to my research (at that time, at least) nothing was feasible (I remember PeerGuardian appeared not to be maintained anymore - at least not supporting 64bit OS)

6. Is it possible to read the messages of the main chat without getting the hub tabs font in fat style?

There is a setting somewhere in Options but I couldn't find it now at a quick glance - well, there are many checkboxes but I know it is there :)

7. When I'm connected in more than 2 hubs, sometimes there is downloading a user from me who is inside in more than 2 hubs. Is it possible that they could download from me only from one hub?

This is a problem in NMDC hubs because the client does not have a way of knowing it is the same user. ADC improves this by implementing CID - a unique identifier of a user. I don't use ADC often so I can't tell you if Apex allows uploads/downloads from the same user on more hubs. Maybe someone else can clarify that.

Hi socialbreakz,

1. Encryption is enabled by default but the hub software determines whether it is used. You should use ADCS to benefit from this.

2. Segment downloading can be disabled in the settings

5. It is on the list to introduce as a plugin

Hi Lee,

thank you for answering.

To point 1: Ah, good to know! Could you give me please a summery of ADCS-using hub software?

To point 2: That's right. The thing is only, that in some anarchy (non-private) -hubs the most user just wanna leeching and have zero or less knowhow (even to use google^^) for set off segmented downloading. So it's not an special problem of ApexDC++.

To point 5: Sorry, my english is too crappy. What you mean with that? A reason why I ask you for an implementation is, that in past I wanted to block some IPs of leechers in Win7-FW / Comodo-FW or PeerBlock but it doesn't work! Even now. That's silly. Can you or anyone else please tell me why that doesn't work and maybe help fixxing this problem? (btw: I'm using Win7 x64) --- Maybe the problem couldn't solved if I ban just the IP of the leeching user?

-------------------------

Hi Mek,

thank you for answering too.

To point 1: OK. Waiting... :)

To point 2: Did I understand correctly that too fast speed access is not good for the HDD?

To point 6: Problem solved even I forgotten how i did it^^.

To point 7: OK, thank you for the information.

To point 5: Sorry, my english is too crappy. What you mean with that? A reason why I ask you for an implementation is, that in past I wanted to block some IPs of leechers in Win7-FW / Comodo-FW or PeerBlock but it doesn't work! Even now. That's silly. Can you or anyone else please tell me why that doesn't work and maybe help fixxing this problem? (btw: I'm using Win7 x64) --- Maybe the problem couldn't solved if I ban just the IP of the leeching user?

Previously we have had PeerGuardian built into the program and this caused issues for a lot of users with increased resource usage. We plan to offer a plugin so you can download and maintain a simple blacklist/whitelist in the program itself without affecting the majority of users.

I don't think there are many large public ADCS hubs right now.

To point 2: Did I understand correctly that too fast speed access is not good for the HDD?

It's not so bad but current segmented downloading implementation is not optimal for performance - it creates and destroys handles too often which is not good. StrongDC++ testing version tries to improve it, but some more tweaks are needed (especially on the uploader's side). However, there's really nothing bad about segmented downloading - it brings positives only (when implemented correctly). But I would appreciate any suggestions for improvement :-)

To encryption: there's really no other proper way to implemented without using another TCP port. Yeah, you can use standard TCP port and transfer some header saying "transfer will be compressed", but it is not optimal - you need whole communication channel to be secure and not only part of transferred bytes. By the way, is it really such problem to forward another TCP port?