Phate

AndroidDC

33 posts in this topic

Hey guys, not quite sure this is the right place to put this or if im allowed to even put this here but hey, may as well try. So I've made an app for android phones (all phones 1.6 and up) that currently allows you to connect to multiple DC hubs and chat on them. Currently it only supports chat but im working on adding features and my goal is to have it support file transfers in the near future. Its available on the android market for a very small fee as AndroidDC. Ive seen a few people around asking about android/iphone DC clients and i couldnt find one on the app store so i made one and hopefully it can help a few people round here.

jbg2c.png

If your interested in giving it a try im more then happy to give out a few copys for free since at this stage id rather see what people think of it then try and make some money off of it.

Lastly a special thanks to mappy for listening to my stupid question.

PS, this currently only supports NMDC hubs, not the more recent ADC hubs.

Lizard likes this

Cool!

We're a few that's been working on similar projects. We also have a little unofficial Android Hub.

Feel free to PM me for info, and yes, I'd love a copy of your client :P

Looking good! I'd like a copy too to test it with FlexHub.

There are some nasty rumours that it wouldn't work with Flex, they'll have to be silenced ofcourse ;)

Drop me a PM, i'll provide feedback when testing ofcourse.

Does slightly more to convince me of the idea but i'm still not sure about the file transfer idea.

I feel an app that works better with the webserver idea would be a good thing to start with.

Looking good! I'd like a copy too to test it with FlexHub.

There are some nasty rumours that it wouldn't work with Flex, they'll have to be silenced ofcourse ;)

Drop me a PM, i'll provide feedback when testing ofcourse.

I've tried it now.. The tag is a bit wonky and miss the "V:" part, I think it may be why Flexhub dislikes it, in Aquila I had to reg with the "tag" right, meaning I can login without tag.

Tag: <AndroidDC,M:A,H:1/0/0,S:4>

This is what the bot say in a Flexhub

[invalid Connection] [1] IP: 95.201.83.8 is autobanned for two hours. Message: $Key ÑÀ° A ѱ±ÀÀ01‘ ÑÑqÑ!‘Ñ‘ ѱ±ÀÀ01†§á|$ValidateNick curse@tablet|

If it's banning over that then the $Key isn't being generated correctly, and yeah the tag should properly have the V: in tag for NMDC hubs

Hey guys, sorry for not replying sooner, theres been a large anime/geek convention over here in Christchurch so ive been busy helping organise and run a booth there. For those that have PM'ed me asking for a version i'll send you one soon, there some new bugs that ive got to sort out and i've just managed to get it downloading file lists but its got ALOT of bugs in that so ill disable that right now. Thanks for showing an interest in it, theres still along way to go before its any where close to something like apex

Wooww!! :rolleyes:

Finally an Android DC application. Very nice! I'm very interested to help testing!

Best regards,

TTB

OK here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/?byck2pnda0htc8f

Thats a debug build which you'll just have to put on an SD card or bluetooth to you phone then install.

Ive intentionally limited this version it to only 1 active hub at a time as a partial security measure to make sure that this version doesnt just get used alot instead of people using the official version, sorry about that. But it gives you all the functionality that the normal one does. Its also limited to 2 max favourite hubs aswell for the same reason.

Hopefully you will be able to see all the functionality in the program. Ive basially built up the main connection part of it by rewriting a distributed hub i wrote (trying to make a p2p DC++ server of sorts) and then made the gui on top of that. Its got quite a few little niggles here and there but in general it works well and it shouldn't crash... hopefully :P .

The actual chat part of the program is complete as it supports all the main chat and private message features except UserCommands which is on my todo list. As i said im currently working on getting file trasfers to work but its a slow process as i dont actually own an android phone and the emulator has issues with incoming connections. Hence i have to borrow my flatmates phone (a brilliant HTC Desire HD), which i can only do once or twice a week if that. But i should get it working in a week or a few, or atleast thats the plan.

Anywho, please feel free to test out the above version asmuch as you like, and if you find any bugs then id really like to see the error log as most of the people who have brought it and find that it crashes are just telling me it crashes but dont send me an error log hence i cant really do much about it :(. Lastly id ask that if you do test out the version above and find that you like it then its available on the App Store for... i think about USD$1 so its a small price to pay for DC on your phone. Thanks for taking an interest in this slightly strange project.

Ok... I've already some feedback for you... I played around with it while traveling home from my work by train.

I run on:

- Android 2.3.3, CM7 mod

- Desire (1st version...)

Some points until now (also points that work well... always good to have confirmation, isn't it??):

1. Filling 2 favs hubs went well. No problems here.

2. When I do login in 1 hub (+- 70 users), the app gives an error. It says (translated from Dutch to English): Warning, Activity AndroidDC does not respond. [Close] or [Wait]. When I select [Wait], it will respond after a while and works fine.

3. Chat is running fine, also PM's. No probs here.

4. When entering landscape mode, it works still fine. No problems encounterd here.

5. Sliding to the left (userlist) works fine. Sliding back to main chat doesn't work good. It's mostly better to use the back arrow button.

6. In green text, I see ppl joining. This seems to work well.

7. Unless you tell us that logging into a second hub shouldn't work, it works. Adding more then 2 hubs doesn't work indeed in this test version (just confirming).

8. When closing a hub or PM, I only can close by tapping "Close hub". THis is not right, I close a hub or PM. The button seems to close the current window, I should rephrase that button into "Close" or "Close window".

9. This might be a major issue: In the second hub, not the complete userlist is loaded. I don't even see my own nickname. It looks like the userlist is only build by retrieving myinfo commands or something like that. It grows slightly...

10. The information of an user, like it's tag, doesn't fit my screen. But I can't scroll or something. Would be nice to see the complete information.

11. Like you said, there is nothing to download/upload. So I'll skip this part :)

12. When logged in, after 5 minutes or so the app was closed by itself. Could you please explain it's behaviour of not using the app for a while but when you're logged in? Is it a timer?

13. URL's are not clickable (or is it touchable). They don't work...

Suggestions:

A. I don't see ppl leave. Maybe you can also notification when ppl leave the hub and not only joining the hub.

B. PM logging might become handy for several users... ( I probably won't use it)

C. Adding URL clicking to work

D. Some pre-defined user commands an user can enter, like #help or #rules.

E. Getting filelist of ppl would be very nice... yes yes, I know you're not that far yet hehe

Ok... these are just my 2 cents of checking your app for around 60 minutes.

Best regards,

TTB

FYI: Regarding point A I discribed.... I do see ppl leaving now. But I have the feeling I don't get that msg always.

FYI: Regarding point A I discribed.... I do see ppl leaving now. But I have the feeling I don't get that msg always.

That is some great feedback TTB, I'm sure Phate will be grateful. :)

I got about the same comments as TTB. Most seems to work fine, especially since the tag is fixed.

One request I got is a notification icon. Visible when the program is running. If you leave Android DC by pressing the home button, it stays active in the background, which is great, but it would be nice with an icon telling me so and it would also be an easy way back into the program.

An idea Uhlik mentioned when we tried it out was emoticons, it should exist a standard set for android, so should just be a matter of pointing the trigger.

Another nice thing would be vibration or notification sound when it comes new PM

Only comments I got on TTBs great review are these...

8. When closing a hub or PM, I only can close by tapping "Close hub". THis is not right, I close a hub or PM. The button seems to close the current window, I should rephrase that button into "Close" or "Close window".

I'd say "Close" or "Close Tab"

12. When logged in, after 5 minutes or so the app was closed by itself. Could you please explain it's behaviour of not using the app for a while but when you're logged in? Is it a timer?

Odd, I haven't noticed that problem, have had it on "standby" for an hour now.

13. URL's are not clickable (or is it touchable). They don't work...

Agree, very important feature. I rather have clickable links then file transfers

I'll get back to you when I've used it more.

Some additional information regarding #12. I was incomplete giving my information.

I switched trains and it take about 5-7 minutes to switch. When I was in the application, I pressed the powerbutton which will set the phone in standby (with internet connection active). After 5 minutes, the connection with the hub was down and the application seems to be closed.

Today I can test this part again... maybe I was wrong observing this.

Best regards,

TTB

Alighty, so thanks very much for all the comments and observations, there incredibly helpful. Ive started working on implementing the ability to click URL's but ive run into a bit of a wall with how android handles click events so right now the scroll view is getting the touch event not the Clickable span meaning its not actually opening the browser even though the text is able to be clicked :(.

In regards to the app auto closeing, a friend of mine had that problem but we discovered that it was because he had put it on his auto close list or something. Beyond that i dont know why it would close beyond maybe android thinks its not doing anything? *Shrug*.

"I'd say "Close" or "Close Tab"", haha its funny you should say that, id originally had it as "close tab" but the feed back id got was that "close hub" was better. I'll probbaly put it back to close tab as i think thats better.

Of the sound or vibration when a PM is recieved, yeap thats a great idea and ill work on adding that soon. I havnt done any work with notifications yet so ill have to hack some code up and see what i can do but it shouldn't be too hard one would imagine.

Thanks for all the comments guys, its helping me make this alot better. Unfortunalty ive got some pretty busy days coming up so i might not get much work done but hopefully ill get some free time this weekend to get back into a full coding cycle (MOUNTAIN DEW REQUIRED!!!!)

TTB perhaps while you switched train, you got some bad reception?

ATM I've had it running for 16h straight on.

TTB perhaps while you switched train, you got some bad reception?

ATM I've had it running for 16h straight on.

Even then I wouldn't expect the program would close, but only will loose signal and connection with a hub.

Even then I wouldn't expect the program would close, but only will loose signal and connection with a hub.

True. Well, was just a suggestion.

Other ideas..

by mistake pressing "back" and close it down and don't think about it.

Android thinking you're not using it and needing the mem for something else(highly unlikely)?

Perhaps you'll know on the way home today.

My client have been running over 18½h now...

Alighty, so thanks very much for all the comments and observations, there incredibly helpful. Ive started working on implementing the ability to click URL's but ive run into a bit of a wall with how android handles click events so right now the scroll view is getting the touch event not the Clickable span meaning its not actually opening the browser even though the text is able to be clicked :(.

Linkify should probably work

something like..

TextView noteView = (TextView) findViewById(R.id.noteview);

noteView.setText(someContent);

Linkify.addLinks(noteView, Linkify.ALL);

I did again a little test :rolleyes:

Already mentioned points:

#6 + A. I've also discovered that the Joins/Parts doesn't work properly for sure. Because I was in a moving train sometimes it doesn't have a good connection. When not having this connection, the joins/parts are not noticed (even when I'm still connected with the hub).

#12. :excl: This time for sure, the program didn't close, but only lost contact with the hubs. That seems to be good. #12 can be ignored imo.

New point(s):

#14. When I connect with a hub, and got a PM (from a bot)... goes well. When I loose signal, and later on connect again with the hub, the tab of the user/bot has a red circle. The client does NOT recognize that the user/bot is online again.

New suggestion(s):

F. I've been chatting in PM with someone... I was missing the copy paste feature (text in PMs). So this is a feature request from my side.

That's it for now... ^_^

Perhaps you'll know on the way home today.

My client have been running over 18½h now...

Check my previous post...

And 18,5 hours is pretty good!

I think 14 is related to 6. It seems like users are coming with new myinfos, new joins.. so the old user don't show up.

PtokaX DC Hub 0.4.1.2

AndroidDC V:0.9

Bad tag on join, show 1/0/0 but the client nick is reg

<AndroidDC V:0.9,M:A,H:0/1/0,S:4>

maybe send 0/1/0 first time or something, some hubs don't allow 1/0/0

it make timeout after sometime :(

maybe first apps i will bay :D

I love the idea. I have been able to successfully connect to PtokaX, HexHub, FlexHub, Eximius. Keep up the good work!