Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Old Indain

Someone is trying to use your client!

7 posts in this topic

At the risk of sounding like a complete noob, has anyone else ever seen this message down in the lower left corner [09:35:47] Someone is trying to use your client! contact your hub owner.......? never saw that before and I am the owner....lol

any ideas?

heh....That is Someone not domeone.............sheeesh

Edited by Old Indain

Yes, we have seen it too. It means that someone is using his client in active mode accepting connections on port 80 (and that is default for the http protocol). When that someone tries to download something from you (he uses a ConnectToMe request stating his own IP address and port), your client is trying to connect to him on port 80 which your client denies because it thinks that someone wants to DoS a webserver. Or maybe the ConnectToMe request contained a different IP address than it was originating from and your hub software didn't catch such malformed request and let it pass. At least this is what I think, someone will surely correct me if anything is wrong.

Thanks Mek, that makes sense, I checked to see if there were any ddos attacks and there were none, however I checked my router port settings and found that I indeed have port 80 open, so maybe it was a sneak attack from there........We shall see where it goes from here.

thanks again

This message is shown when someone in active mode is using port 80 or port 2501. It is annoying message with false information, mostly because user don't set static port number and his client generated port 2501 on startup :rolleyes:

PPK, and what does the hub software to do with it? Shall it block connection requests to ports 80 and 2501?

Why should hub block any port usage (protocol allow whole port range to be used) because some clients show annoying message to users ? Hub is responsible for ip checking in commands, that is important... not ports :rolleyes:

Correct, but since not all hubs can be trusted, blocking port 80 and 2501 at least protects from allowing a client to participate in ddosing a website or hublist regserver

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0