CryoGen1

Migrating Apex to a New Computer

5 posts in this topic

I've been running Apex for quite a while on my current computer. I just built a new one and I want to migrate my current installation to my new computer. I'll be using new hard drives and new directory structures so I already know I have to rehash. However, I want to be able to move all my favorite hubs and users plus all of my passwords, descriptions, and any other settings I have. What is the best way to accomplish this? I saw a settings backup script by Kjarin(sp?). Should I use that? Should I just zip up my current installation directory and unzip it on the new computer? I had a major crash recently and had to reinstall Apex and my settings installed in my Apex directory not under Appdata. Thanks in advance!

I've been running Apex for quite a while on my current computer. I just built a new one and I want to migrate my current installation to my new computer. I'll be using new hard drives and new directory structures so I already know I have to rehash. However, I want to be able to move all my favorite hubs and users plus all of my passwords, descriptions, and any other settings I have. What is the best way to accomplish this? I saw a settings backup script by Kjarin(sp?). Should I use that? Should I just zip up my current installation directory and unzip it on the new computer? I had a major crash recently and had to reinstall Apex and my settings installed in my Apex directory not under Appdata. Thanks in advance!

Zip up the directory but delete dcplusplus.xml and the hashdata. You will need to reconfigure your settings but that's the best way. :)

Something is screwy with my install or I just don't understand it. I do not see dcplusplus.xml or hashdata in my settings dir in the dir that I installed Apex to. However when I look under Application Data\ApexDC++ I see those files. How do I figure out which directory contains the settings my install is using? It looks like my settings may be spread across 2 directories.

Something is screwy with my install or I just don't understand it. I do not see dcplusplus.xml or hashdata in my settings dir in the dir that I installed Apex to. However when I look under Application Data\ApexDC++ I see those files. How do I figure out which directory contains the settings my install is using? It looks like my settings may be spread across 2 directories.

If you used the installer and did not uncheck "Store settings per Windows user account" then dcppboot.xml will be placed in the Program Files directory. Delete this file and you'll have the settings back in the Program Files directory. The advantage of using the AppData approach is that you don't have to mess with the privileges when installed to Program Files. :)