Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
4LeX

external IP detect

8 posts in this topic

Hello all, congrats on the project. keep it going

Can u enhance the "Get IP" option so that it finds ur external ip in case ur using a router?

I dont know how exactly u can do that but isnt it possible to do an HTTP GET to www.whatismyip.com for example and parse the results?

Hello all, congrats on the project. keep it going

Can u enhance the "Get IP" option so that it finds ur external ip in case ur using a router?

I dont know how exactly u can do that but isnt it possible to do an HTTP GET to www.whatismyip.com for example and parse the results?

We're working on it, but we don't want the send users to a website.. why not try the guide?

We're working on it, but we don't want the send users to a website.. why not try the guide?

This is what i use, but it doesnt work with all the hubs.

btw a dc client stealthy does this by connecting to http://checkip.dyndns.org/ so it would be like using the dyndns service. And the site is pretty simple. All it says is:

Current IP Address: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx

This is what i use, but it doesnt work with all the hubs.

btw a dc client stealthy does this by connecting to http://checkip.dyndns.org/ so it would be like using the dyndns service. And the site is pretty simple. All it says is:

Current IP Address: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Thanks, but we'd rather it was on our server so we can control what the users see. ;)

Thanks, but we'd rather it was on our server so we can control what the users see. ;)

No, user would never see that page...

And when we discusssed this i specifically stated that i wouldn't want users to connect to apexdc.net

right i meant apexdc would not make the page visible. It all happens internally and the results are parsed to the program. something like that

Edit: i searched a bit and i found this:

External IP numbers are reported by function FindWebAddress(). It does this by making a connection to URL 'checkip.dyndns.org'. To see why, open this URL in your browser. It returns the IP number of your machine as seen from this site. If your machine is behind a firewall/router this number will differ from the internal IP numbers found earlier. Of course in this case the IP number found will in fact be the IP number of your router/firewall.

FindWebAddress() uses the WinINet API to make a connection to 'checkip.dyndns.org' and to read and parse its HTML source to find the IP number hidden in this HTML source.

from Codeproject

i hope this helps

Hello 4lex, this has been discussed quite a bit on the forums. thanks for your assistance. however i do not belive Crise wants to connect to a website even from the client. He wants it to be cleverer then that

Edit: if you are considering connecting to a website i would reccomend using curl its open source, easy to use and supports loads of platforms so would be easy to port to linux. happy to look into this more if you want.

Edit2:it also supports ssl so it can be secured...well obscured

Edited by Lee

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0