mindkiller

Is it possible to join the same hub under two different names?

6 posts in this topic

Hey. For various reasons, I want to connect to a hub with two different nicks/settings, one set to passive and the other set to active (I'm behind a firewall but I still need an active one to share with the other people behind the firewall). I know how to change those settings but I can't figure out if it's even possible to join the same hub twice.

Of course, you can do it. Just use different addresses (they will be considered as two different hubs by Apex then). For example one with port 411 and the other without the port. Or use the IP address of the server as the first address and DNS name for the other.

Of course, you can do it. Just use different addresses (they will be considered as two different hubs by Apex then). For example one with port 411 and the other without the port. Or use the IP address of the server as the first address and DNS name for the other.

really ill advised would not recommend doing that on any hub since most hubs dont want clones in the hub

Hey. For various reasons, I want to connect to a hub with two different nicks/settings, one set to passive and the other set to active (I'm behind a firewall but I still need an active one to share with the other people behind the firewall). I know how to change those settings but I can't figure out if it's even possible to join the same hub twice.

TO Mek; No sure that's what he meant but a cool trick! hehe :o

TO Mek; I think what he wanted is what I am wondering about. Which is: 2 nicks; 2 computers; 1 lan; 1 DC++ hub. There are a bunch that let me in twice with diff. nicks. What my problem is that when the client does it's own searching for matches, it sometimes finds MY "other" nick, puts me in queue and then attempts to download. (which I know is already weird seeing as the client should not be dowloading doubles....)

How do I avoid seeing my other Nick/profile/computer etc.. to or from my two clients?

One thought I had was to ban the other clients local (192.168.2.X) IP in "PeerBlock". Not sure what might happen? lol

Any ideas on those 2 things?

Thanks in advance....

One thought I had was to ban the other clients local (192.168.2.X) IP in "PeerBlock". Not sure what might happen? lol

To disable receiving results from your other computer, it should be sufficient to put a rule into your firewall to block UDP connections from IP address of the particular computer. At least this is how it works with NMDC, not sure about ADC...

To disable receiving results from your other computer, it should be sufficient to put a rule into your firewall to block UDP connections from IP address of the particular computer. At least this is how it works with NMDC, not sure about ADC...

Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

I will play with that and see what happens. Never thought of the one way only, UDP approach. Makes sense seeing how the client is ported.