Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dreamlander

[REQUEST]Searching over DHT network also with keywords

10 posts in this topic

There is possible to implement a search option window search like "search over DHT"?

I understand at this point DHT searches automatically based on TTH only files in Download Queue.

It would be nice also to manual search but with keywords in search windows.

Thank you!

Best regards!

There is possible to implement a search option window search like "search over DHT"?

I understand at this point DHT searches automatically based on TTH only files in Download Queue.

It would be nice also to manual search but with keywords in search windows.

Thank you!

Best regards!

Best person to ask would be BM, author of DHT. I guess eventually this might be planned.

I guess eventually this might be planned.

The reason it probably (pure guess) isn't done because if some one searches for ie. .mp3 on a hub, well you can guess the rest... the gist of it is that hub has better control over searches than we have over DHT.

I guess this would be technically impossible. DHT means Distributed Hash Table so only searching by file hash (TTH) is possible.

As always, correct me if I am wrong :)

I guess this would be technically impossible. DHT means Distributed Hash Table so only searching by file hash (TTH) is possible.

As always, correct me if I am wrong :)

True it is technically impossible in that sense, but it isn't impossible to allow searching by text through DHT nodes.

True it is technically impossible in that sense, but it isn't impossible to allow searching by text through DHT nodes.

So it would search through hubs a node is connected to. That would be cool for public hubs, but needs to be explained before the user enables. :)

So it would search through hubs a node is connected to. That would be cool for public hubs, but needs to be explained before the user enables. :)

No, only the dht nodes, and it is not like the text search would work as it is... it would probably need a modification in all DHT using clients to work. I just stated that it isn't impossible (but whether what we would have after that would still be DHT is questionable), nothing more.

No, only that user, and it is not like the text search will work as it is... it would probably need a modification in all DHT using clients to work. I just stated that it isn't impossible, nothing more.

Ok, large hub as BM claims. :)

Searching by keywords in DHT possible very easily. When your share is being indexed, it just splits all filenames to single words, then hashes each word and publish this hash to the network. Searching process runs in same way as when searching for hash, but it just specify that search is for keywords.

I was considering whether to put keywords searching into StrongDC++ DHT network, but decided that it would increase bandwidth a lot. Also, there is big probability that users wouldn't connect to another hubs anymore.

Searching by keywords in DHT possible very easily. When your share is being indexed, it just splits all filenames to single words, then hashes each word and publish this hash to the network. Searching process runs in same way as when searching for hash, but it just specify that search is for keywords.

I was considering whether to put keywords searching into StrongDC++ DHT network, but decided that it would increase bandwidth a lot. Also, there is big probability that users wouldn't connect to another hubs anymore.

But that creates a large hub in itself...people will still connect to hubs for specific files. Although it would become an easy target for Anti-P2P organisations.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0