Lee

Best Anti-Virus solution

Anti-virus software   33 members have voted

1. 1. What Anti-Virus software do you use?

• Antivir
    • Avast!
    • AVG
    • Kaspersky
    • NOD32
    • Symantec/Norton
    • Microsoft Security Essentials
    • Other (please state)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 posts in this topic

Let's find out what the majority of DC users have installed for their Anti-Virus software...maybe we might see something interesting. This should also help as a knowledge based article for those looking for Anti-Virus while using ApexDC++ or any other program.

I personally use NOD32. ;)

cargoAttags likes this

I was using Avast until my recent OS reinstall. Then I realised that the Comodo Personal Firewall I was using, now comes with antivirus software included - in a security suite called Comodo Internet Security (CIS). I was very satisfied with the firewall so I installed it and am satisfied with this integrated solution as well. So I am using Comodo now.

I was using Avast until my recent OS reinstall. Then I realised that the Comodo Personal Firewall I was using, now comes with antivirus software included - in a security suite called Comodo Internet Security (CIS). I was very satisfied with the firewall so I installed it and am satisfied with this integrated solution as well. So I am using Comodo now.

I think Windows 7 firewall is fine personally. How fast is Comodo at scanning?

Microsoft Security Essentials. Had Nod32 before this but decided to give MS a chance.

I've tried MSE before, used a lot of memory but it's a decent free alternative.

How fast is Comodo at scanning?

I don't really remember since I did a full scan after the installation (which was some months ago). But I know it isn't slow. I have it mainly for residential antivirus solution.

Until recently i wasn't running any antivirus or firewall software, when i realised how dangerous that is. Now im running Comodo FW, Windows FW, Avira and MS Security Essentials. As backup scans i have AVG and Malwarebytes installed. No antivirus software was able to remove all the different threads, so it's better to have a few installed. Some trojans even require a special removal tool.

here is a basic security rule from me (yes i got security+ certs from CompTIA)its really simple as **** dont click every link you get and dont trust pirated software to be virus free :) and having 4 antivirus software isn't really gonna help if your dumb enough to not apply the simple rule above :thumbsup:

just a quick note, anyone who runs more then 1 A/V scanner at one time is a fool as more then likely it will cause a crash or at least a major internal conflict in the operating system, and anyways there are a few simple solutions to keep your system secure, if you are unsure about a file.. sandbox it r upload to an online av scanner, they run multiple tests through multiple scanners, use a secure DNS ...one of the fastest and secure ones would be Comodo SecureDNS which i personally use and side note of using a DNS besides the ISP given ones is it greatly improves the web browsing speeds since most ISP DNS systems are bogged down and pretty unstable in some cases.

Edit. Also I would suggest using a tool called HitMan Pro if you have an *ware/virus problems, as it is one of the best tools that I peronally use in my D2D business as being a software maintenance technician, there are also other good tools for rootkits as well, i.e rootkit revealer and the sort.

Current Security on my PC

Running main account as User NOT Administrator - having to enter a password a few times when doing specific things is worth the extra protection layer

UAC - screen dimming De-activated

Comodo DNS - using DNSJumper I can easily switch to openDNS - GoogleDNS or whatever I choose

PrivateFirewall 7.0.24.10 - running

Avast Anti-virus - running

Malwarebites - running

WinPatrol - running

Peerblock - running - preventative for torrents and such

Sandboxie - running

Spywareblaster - preventative

Clamwin - spotchecking

Emisoft Hijack Free - spotchecking

I have found a Layered defense from multiple companies has proved more effective as not one single company can catch everything... and yes my pc runs fine with all that lot installed lol

Edited by Zebedee

Hi Zeb Yes, I too run multiple antivirus, but only two. Avast and Adaware. Both paid pro versions. They seem to co-exist happily and one catches some things the other doesn't. Any more would be overkill I think. A full rescan of all drives by both progs at least once a month just to be sure. I have tried other programs, but some conflict with each other and with firewalls.

Note that while Adaware free does a good job, you get what you pay for. The full version gives pretty much total antivirus coverage - not just ads/spam. When it comes to security, don't be stingy. It could cost you everything, trying to save a buck.

I don't use any antivirus, or as the expression goes, Common Sense 2007. It hasn't needed updating since, except some minor configuration changes.

Without resident monitoring filters, my two Windows systems are rock solid. They can reach maximum IP performance and availabilty.

I've so far caught about 4 or 5 viruses, sent one load of spam, spent some time on a blocklist for that, and been removed. In all these cases I had carelessly run a crack or patch that wasn't entirely what it pretended to be. Those were avoidable and my own fault.

The popularity of alternate DNS looks suspicious, as an attempt to take over and maybe filter the internet. If the ISP's DNS (which is physically close, normally with round trip times of a couple ms) performs worse than Google 30-40 ms away, how can anything else on the ISP's network function at all?

I occasionally test suspicious software in a VMware virtual machine. I'm also behind a NAT firewall, using a local DNS cache. I monitor running processes on my systems using Process Explorer, TaskInfo, Sysinternals Autoruns and Sysinternals TCPView.

Avast! 9 with Malwarebytes.

In fact someone today asked me to look at their laptop, she claimed it was slow. I did a full AVG 2014 (1 Year licence) scan 0 viruses, I dont trust AVG so I uninstalled it and replace it with Avast Free. After doing a full scan it found 9 viruses, I deleted them, rebooted and it was instantly faster.

Just goes to show you have bad AVG is.