Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
markd

How to prevent forced upgrade ?

9 posts in this topic

I have been using 1.3.1 on my W7 64bit for some time, without serious problems. However, I tried 1.3.2 and I got like 4 crashes in one hour. I would like to stick with 1.3.1 until a version higher than 1.3.2 becomes available, but since a couple of days the forced upgrade doesn't leave me any choice but to quit Apex. Is there a way to prevent the forced upgrade from happening ? Maybe like blocking a link in my firewall ? (if so, what link do I block, or where do I remove/adjust anything in the .xml files etc ?) I really like Apex, but 1.3.2 is not working for me.

Any help is appreciated.

Rather than just saying it's not working... if you have crashes report them.

Rather than just saying it's not working... if you have crashes report them.

I ain't saying it's not working, I'm saying I'm having problems with it which I prefer to avoid by sticking to 1.3.1

All I'm asking is how to block that forced upgrade.

I ain't saying it's not working, I'm saying I'm having problems with it which I prefer to avoid by sticking to 1.3.1

All I'm asking is how to block that forced upgrade.

And I am asking what kind of problems you are having with it?

What Crise is trying to say is that if you're hoping by 1.3.3 your crashes will be fixed, they must be reported and reproduced.

I have downloaded 1.3.2 again, and for unclear reasons it seems stable this time. I don't know why it wasn't stable when I tried it the other day. I remember it would crash during hashing. I have a filelist of more than 16TB, maybe the size was the problem ? Anyway, forget about it, no use to dig into it at this point as I can't tell anything clear about the crashes. So far 1.3.2 is stable. I'll report any crashes when I see 'em.

I have downloaded 1.3.2 again, and for unclear reasons it seems stable this time. I don't know why it wasn't stable when I tried it the other day. I remember it would crash during hashing. I have a filelist of more than 16TB, maybe the size was the problem ? Anyway, forget about it, no use to dig into it at this point as I can't tell anything clear about the crashes. So far 1.3.2 is stable. I'll report any crashes when I see 'em.

Well although from that I can only guess, it could have been hash data had gotten corrupted... or alternatively turning off fast hashing might have solved it.

I don't know about large size being the problem, although this is the first time I hear of something as large as 16TB, it could be an indirect cause for a problem but not really the problem itself.

Btw. a bit curious how does ApexDC++ perform in terms of memory with that much data shared?

Btw. a bit curious how does ApexDC++ perform in terms of memory with that much data shared?

I use Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, on a server containing an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200, 8GB of Crucial Ballistix ram, and an Asus P5Q-Premium motherboard. (see attachment)

At this moment the total shared size is 16.74TB, and it's growing every day. The total number of shared files is over 382.000, which is relatively low because about 10TB is files of an average 4GB each (DVDs)

I have a little more than 1GB in my downloadqueue at the moment, the total memory usage at this very moment is 545MB, while not doing a lot. During hashing it goes up rapidly, with peaks around 1080MB.

I have installed the recent upgrade 1.3.3 without any problems. (Well, maybe just one problem. I queued up a folder of 433GB, containing 100.000 mp3 files. It made Apex freeze for more than an hour, but after that hour it would still run. Apex did crash a lot after that, even when just sending a simple PM to someone. I guess I overdid it a little on that folder, I removed it from queue again, and no probs since.)

A buddy of mine used Apex 1.3.1 for a while, he had a lower share size, about 7.8TB, but the total number of files was well over 1.5 million, his memory usage was considerably higher, when doing not much, he was using around 900MB, and during hashing it would go up fast. He had problems with hashing and rehashing all the time, his Apex would simply crash and freeze during hashing, especially when the memory usage would go over 1024MB. He was using Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit as well. I can't give any more info from that corner as he's no longer using it.

By the way, the initial question for this post is no longer relevant, so this topic might as well be closed if you ask me. Do I need to do that myself ? I'm still a bit of a noob to this forum ;)

post-28067-001975800 1276778887_thumb.jp

By the way, the initial question for this post is no longer relevant, so this topic might as well be closed if you ask me. Do I need to do that myself ? I'm still a bit of a noob to this forum :)

Nope you don't need to do that yourself :) I will.