Lee

ApexDC++ 2.0 vision

29 posts in this topic

But your probly gonna have to use something else if your gonna go linux so what are your plans then ? and my guess is that u dont wanna do the same work 2 times for each dist

Well GTK or wxWidgets are the candidates if we end up taking that path.

I recommend wxWidgets. It's good, easy and very similar to WTL so it shouldn't be hard to rewrite current code. However, I don't see any benefit in creating special Linux version when current one works fine under Wine. At least, I would do some investigation how many users really need it. I guess it's not more then 10 and it would be only lost of time unless it's the only activity you are working on and you are paid for it.

Are there any big differences when running native application or Win32 application in Wine?

However, I don't see any benefit in creating special Linux version when current one works fine under Wine. At least, I would do some investigation how many users really need it.

You have a point I guess

Are there any big differences when running native application or Win32 application in Wine?

Well I guess the biggest difference is that you don't need wine installed... some users prefer not to use wine because in theory it can make your system open to windows viruses etc. (I have no idea how true this statement is, but it's what I have heard/read).

Then there are just simply things that refuse to work well under wine, but still with Wine there is an extra layer to give birth to more bugs.

Well in the case of DC I think it's also because there aren't many up to date native options to choose from for linux... and linuxdcpp keeps very close to vanilla DC++ in terms of features.

I hope someone who has used linux and/or wine, more than I have, can provide some better answers.

You have a point I guess

Well I guess the biggest difference is that you don't need wine installed... some users prefer not to use wine because in theory it can make your system open to windows viruses etc. (I have no idea how true this statement is, but it's what I have heard/read).

Then there are just simply things that refuse to work well under wine, but still with Wine there is an extra layer to give birth to more bugs.

Well in the case of DC I think it's also because there aren't many up to date native options to choose from for linux... and linuxdcpp keeps very close to vanilla DC++ in terms of features.

I hope someone who has used linux and/or wine, more than I have, can provide some better answers.

Native applications run faster. Especially with something like a file sharing client that uses a lot of disk I/O and the network you'd want to avoid that extra compatibility layer. Native applications are also more stable, you can see errors printed to the console, etc. I'd also like Apex DC++ to start when my computer starts, but I'm not sure if that works with Wine.

Also, I think Wine programs only have access to the directory set up to act as the Windows C:\ drive, so everything you share and everything you download would have to be there.

If there's ways to get around any of these problems you guys might consider making a Wine usage guide.