Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
horus22

[1.3.1] Important problems that I've noticed

20 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm running a 32 bit version of ApexDC++ on Win7 x64.

It feels bay far, less snappy than in XP SP2 x86. It takes longer to connect to hubs, scrolling through a a large number of results is not fluent as it was in XP' downloading/connecting to 100hubs makes it less responsive, and it hangs a lot. Hubs that disconnect, also make it lag/hang a lot.

Everything that you do, when you are connected to 100hubs, isn't smooth. In XP it was. :)

Also, in Win7, it doesn't want to go to system tray. Running it in XP SP3 mode(so that it would minimize to tray) could cause some problems, if ApexDC++ lags/hangs, you couldn't go to desktop until you end the program.

There's also this problem when selecting more than one file and clicking Download to=> Browse, it doesn't autoscroll to the downloads folder like it did in XP. I've attached 2 pictures to understand what I'm

trying to say.

The first one shows the window that would appear in Win7, no autoscroll to the Downloads folder, and the second one shows how it would appear in WinXP, with autoscroll to the Downloads folder. This is important when downloading many files into different subfolders located in Downloads folder. It takes less time when you have the Downloads folder right in your face. :)

For example, I like to download pictures, and many of them have the same name, so I'd have to download them in different subfolders. Now I have to scroll myself everytime.

My PC has a Q8300 CPU, 4GB RAM, 640GB HDD, etc, so I don't think that the config would have anything to do with these issues.

post-9396-127455018356_thumb.jpg

post-9396-127455020978_thumb.jpg

You do understand that these differences, as you said yourself, are caused by the switch from XP to Win7.

While I can't say that all of them are necessarily issues we can't do anything about, you have to understand that these differences do originate from the underlying OS and not from the program itself (apart from minimize to tray, but that has been sorted in next version).

Do you really need to be connected to 100 hubs?

You do understand that these differences, as you said yourself, are caused by the switch from XP to Win7.

While I can't say that all of them are necessarily issues we can't do anything about, you have to understand that these differences do originate from the underlying OS and not from the program itself (apart from minimize to tray, but that has been sorted in next version).

I understand that there are differences, and I assuem that autoscroll feature lack might be due to Win7.

But I don't understand why does it react so slow. I thought that Win7 has a better resources management.

Do you really need to be connected to 100 hubs?

If it's possible, why not? I don't see the problem.

But I don't understand why does it react so slow. I thought that Win7 has a better resources management.

Well Win7 certainly performs far better than Vista but I won't say anything in relation to XP.

One thing you can try, if only to test it is to turn off Aero and possibly other visual goodies in Win7 and Vista and see how that affects things.

Edit: about being connected to 100 or more hubs... although possible it isn't necessary practical. What I mean by this is that DC has for more additional traffic than most other forms of p2p... like chats and the info updates for user connected to the hubs you connect to, these all being traffic that has no strict relation to the file sharing aspect.

I've checked in a VM, and version 1.3.1 doesn't autoscroll in XP, either. But version 1.2.1 does the autoscrolling that I'm talking about(see the first post, and the pictures).

In conclusion, this is not a Win7 related problem. Can you readd the autoscrolling/autoselecting feature back?

I've checked in a VM, and version 1.3.1 doesn't autoscroll in XP, either. But version 1.2.1 does the autoscrolling that I'm talking about(see the first post, and the pictures).

In conclusion, this is not a Win7 related problem. Can you readd the autoscrolling/autoselecting feature back?

I'll look into it but honestly I don't recall anything changing around those parts....

I'll look into it but honestly I don't recall anything changing around those parts....

Hi,

Did you find it?

Hi,

Did you find it?

I thought I did, but I was wrong, but I tell you we didn't change a single thing regarding that behavior (I even checked older sources to be sure, besides what we can change is limited anyways since it's a stock windows dialog).

Hmmm, very strange.

Do you have any idea why 1.3.1 behaves like this and 1.2.1 doesn't(besides a different code)?

Hmmm, very strange.

Do you have any idea why 1.3.1 behaves like this and 1.2.1 doesn't(besides a different code)?

I checked 1.2.2 when I was looking for differences from older sources, but will check 1.2.1 though don't think that'll change anything.

As for possible causes, well since it's windows api call only thing that could change how it behaves is windows updates I guess... or the fact that the recent ApexDC++ is compiled with newer (win7) SDK opposed to earlier ones.

Though since the api function comes from a windows dll unless that or one of it's dependancies has been updated nothing should change.

I think I've made a mistake, not sure 100%, because it's been a while since, when I said that in XP it still did not autoscroll. I think I was misleaded because the "Downloads folder" was not properly set to point to a valid folder.

I've checked 1.3.1 in a VM XP a few seconds ago and it seems to have this autoscrolling feature to the implicit "Downloads" folder.

Would this help to enable autoscrolling on win7?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.scrollablecontrol.autoscroll.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/a62htd5x.aspx

PS: One good thing is that my Apex moves well now on Win7, even with 90 hubs. I don't know what was the cause to that slow motion, the only thing I did was to remove the Read-Only checkbox from the "Incomplete" folder and to compress it. I don't even know why it was set to read-only in the first place(nor who did it).

The links you provided are .NET Apex is not, so short answer no...

Slightly longer answer, even if Apex was .NET app, that would be off the mark because that is for forms... once again an api call is an api call.

I understand.

The slowness hasn't been solved, it seems that it still moves slow on Win7, it takes about 1minute to maximize and to become controlable(getting to work in realtime).

This sounds more like a problem with your computer/OS and not something that the dev team can fix. Not unless they can replicate it, which I don't think anyone has done yet.

Funny thing is that at the same time an ApexDC++ running in a WinXP VM(on the same PC) responds flawless.

I want to say that I've discovered that the missing autoscroll function it's not related to ApexDC++, I've discovered that other applications behave the same way.

I hope to find a tweak in Win7 to sort this out.

I want to say that I've discovered that the missing autoscroll function it's not related to ApexDC++, I've discovered that other applications behave the same way.

I hope to find a tweak in Win7 to sort this out.

Let us know.

Haven't found the tweak, but I've discovered that it's a Win7 bug.

If you go to "Visual Effects" menu and change any option around there and then apply it, the autoscroll for the "Select Folder" box will work, but only a single time. For every change that you do in "Visual Effects" menu, the autoscroll will work one time. :))

For example, I've selected/deselected "Slide open combo boxes" and "Show translucent selection rectangle".

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0