Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bugmenot

Looking to Throttle Upload + Download

10 posts in this topic

I am on a 10meg line, and am looking to throttle ApexDC++'s upload+download total to 9meg to keep from saturating the line.

I, for the life of me, cannot find the right configuration options to make this happen.

Please help.

Thanks.

Advanced -> Limits

Advanced -> Limits

I found that, but I couldn't find any combination of numbers that work.

I start a download. It's downloading at 10meg, which is great, but it's saturated my line, and I can't do anything else.

When I put "9,216" in the "Upload Speed" and "Download Speed" boxes, the download slows down to like three and a half meg. If it's something as simple as a unit conversion, I beg someone to enlighten me.

Additionally, does that even do what I want? If I individually limited upload and download to 9 meg, wouldn't the sum of the two still saturate the line? ((This question might betray my lack of knowledge about how networking works)).

Don't put decimal numbers there. The numbers are in KiB so if you want to throttle download to 9 MiB/s put 9000 there (or a similar number).

Don't put decimal numbers there. The numbers are in KiB so if you want to throttle download to 9 MiB/s put 9000 there (or a similar number).

I'm sorry. That was a comma, not a period, and I included it here only I am American.

When I insert "9000" in the box, the download speed suddenly drops to about 3.5 MB/s.

I still don't understand.

Well, it shouldn't have...

When I set "9000" in upload limiter, the download limiter gets set to "63000" automatically. I don't understand why 3,5 MB/s... maybe a bug or something...?

Or the line is so saturated by uploading that TCP slows the coming packets down. The upload limiter is most probably for both of the "user data" and "metadata" used to confirm reception of TCP packets.

It doesn't work.

If I put "9000" in both the Upload and Download boxes, my download slows to exactly 4.00 MiB/s.

If I put "9000" for Download and "9999999999" in Upload (which gets rounded to "2147483647" in Upload), the download stays at exactly 4.00 MiB/s.

If I put "99999999999999" in both the Upload and the Download boxes (both of which get rounded to "2147483641"), the download actually stops completely.

When I disable limits, the download jumps back up to 13.xx MiB/s.

I'm running Windows 7 64-Bit, and I'm not uploading anything at all. And I'm only downloading one file, as a test.

Settings to something higher than 2^32 causes overflow and will set limit to negative value. Thank you for the bug report.

Please, could you try this StrongDC++ test build whether it fixes your problems? Thank you.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/y01sn9

That still doesn't explain why setting it to "9000" throttles it to 4 MiB/s.

What on earth should I put in the box to get it to throttle it to 9 MiB/s?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0