spaljeni

Automatic backup of Favorites.xml

12 posts in this topic

Every time there is a power cut or the PC freezes and needs a hard reset while ApexDC is running the favorites.xml file gets corrupted.

Is there a way to make Apex backup this as well as other critical files at every startup / shutdown or whatever,

A "restore" command may also be good.

Well, I am using Apex for quite some years but this hasn't happened to me (yet)...

But maybe the Favorites.xml could be backed up like Queue.xml ?

Well, I am using Apex for quite some years but this hasn't happened to me (yet)...

But maybe the Favorites.xml could be backed up like Queue.xml ?

then you're lucky. it happened to me 2 times last month and it's hard to get adresses of private hubs again.

and I am to lazy to backup favorites.xml EVERY TIME I run apex. And I don't think this should be neccesary on a client that advertises itself as "The Pinnacle of file sharing" (allthough it is hated by most private hubs, I like the look and feel as well as functionality of ApexDC)

A simple "favorites.bak" in the "settings" folder on run/exit would do the trick.

Why would you need to make a backup of Favorites.xml every time?

You just need to do it once in a while, when you change something in your favorite hubs.

cause it gets corrupted on every power failure or hard reset on my pc.

and I don't know when the next time is that this is going to happen, but when it does the file gets messed up and I lose all my fav hubs and users.

memcheck cause a pc shouldnt freeze up unless there is something wrong with it. although a simple backup tool included isnt a bad idea

Edited by Toast

Its very useful feature. I have many time this situation, because like to overclock my PC :P And many times my friends have this problem too. Before apex i used StrongDC, and its make Favorites.xml.bak file and backup is very simple.

Its very useful feature. I have many time this situation, because like to overclock my PC :P And many times my friends have this problem too. Before apex i used StrongDC, and its make Favorites.xml.bak file and backup is very simple.

Unmodified StrongDC dies not create backup of Favorites.xml. Unless I have missed something really ovcious somewhere.

Unmodified StrongDC dies not create backup of Favorites.xml. Unless I have missed something really ovcious somewhere.

I many times backup Favorites from automatically created .bak file in StrongDC, and not only on my PC.

Maybe Big Muscle can explain this moment :P

I many times backup Favorites from automatically created .bak file in StrongDC, and not only on my PC.

Maybe Big Muscle can explain this moment ;)

I looked at tthe source code, so I am pretty sure I am correct about this. It does create such backup from queue bit not favorites.