ShakaZuluf

Downloading..but what?

7 posts in this topic

Can someone please give me some help, or is anyone able to explain what is on the picture that I attached?

I found some user who has some episodes that I need, and when he logs on the hub, I close all other of my downloads, and I download from him. I think that he has some kind of net limiter, because download goes in pulses, a block of 1 Mb size downloads in almost maximum speed, and then it stops for 15,20 seconds with the message "requesting..."...and it continues with downloads and pauses. But, that's not the problem.

After a while, that user goes off the hub, and after that my Network statistic looks like on picture that I attached.

There is some download with 20 kbps speed, despite all of files in my download queue are on "paused" priority, except those episodes whose only seed is user that is not online anymore !!?? WTF ?!

My Apex is 1.2.2, recently updated, and I have KIS 2009, recently updated too..KIS does not show any sign of suspicion activity.

Is there any reasonable explanation for this, or should I go to "The Twilight Zone" forum for help? :)

post-25270-125908810716_thumb.jpg

I guess your "some download speed" is in relation to hubs you are connected to. Btw. do you need so many hubs?

That idea crossed my mind too, but how can it be?

I cant think of anything, that some hub(!?) would upload to me for such a long time. Btw I changed OS, now I'm on Windows 7 and problem didn't occur since. We will wait and see.:)

About the number of hubs - I'm trying to find episodes of some series that I miss, and it resulted with such a big number of opened hubs.

How many hubs is optimal, in normal situacion?

According to your connection. I guess the maximum number would be 10. You just need to carefully choose hubs you are in. Some hubs don't even allow you to download until you register. You don't notice it because it is written on the main chat you couldn't see because you have too many tabs opened.

I could go on... :)

hi

im having the same problem

my apex downloads something at ~50kbs as soon as i log into my hub

i have no files in my download queue and this is the only hub i am in

yesterday it downloaded 1.25 gig in 7 hours without me downloading a single file (~ 3 search attempts, but those cant be THAT big)

any idea what it might be loading?

(Im using Windows 7 64bit, recently updated to the 64bit client, i never noticed this before)

yesterday it downloaded 1.25 gig in 7 hours without me downloading a single file (~ 3 search attempts, but those cant be THAT big)

That's not an impossible figure when on enough hubs, or if the hubs you are on are active and/or large... remember that the protocol involves lot of communication besides file transfers.

DC is not your typical P2P network after all, there is hub chat and hub user list updates that just take some traffic... DHT that was added in recent StrongDC also adds onto that "transparent" traffic if in use. One option that you might want to turn off, if it is on, is "Automatically match queue for search hits" (this is somjething that might have been mentioned already, but I didn't re-read the entire topic...).

Edit: just realised you stated you are on only one hub, if that's the case and the hub is not big then check whether the option mentioned is enabled and also disable DHT if enabled.

hmm both DHT and "Automatically match queue for search hits" are disabled

the Hub has ~100 people with a total of ~55 TB shared

but apparently i am the only one with that kind of sneaky downstream

also, the download yesterday stopped when it reached said 1.25 gigs

i guess ill try using the old 32bit version of apexDC++ and see if it still happens