Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
verukins

Force download of specific part

4 posts in this topic

Is there a way of forcing DC to download a specific part of a file?

eg.

Client 1 has a 10gb file

Clients 2, 3 and 4 are downloading this 10gb file

At the moment in seems that each client grabs the parts from the start of the file... meaning that clients 2,3,4 are are downloading the same stuff from client 1.

If there is a way of forcing different parts, client 2 could download from the start, client 3 from the middle and client 4 from the end.... meaning that, after some initial download time, each client would now have 3 sources for the same 10gb file.

Is this do-able somehow - i havent been able to find a setting for it.

Partial file sharing (torrent-like) is already implemented. Or do you think of about something else?

Partial file sharing (torrent-like) is already implemented. Or do you think of about something else?

yep - so i cant download a partial file from a user.... but i dont seem to be able to specify which parts of a file i want to download from a specific user

When you're downloading from 5 peers you're not getting the same parts. All are different. It might happen that a slow source gets dropped and the download on that specific piece is restarted (or continued, I don't know).

You cannot specify which part to download from the file because the end goal of the client is to download the entire file (and it would be kind of complicated).

Although it would be nice if there were a torrent like setting for pre-allocating files and prioritizing end pieces of the files. Makes previewing files a lot easier.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0