bookbagger

Active Versus Passive Connections

7 posts in this topic

If I set myself up in passive mode behind a hardware firewall/router, does this mean I cannot download from active users, or can I download from both active and passive users?

Also, after following the directions absolutely 100% perfectly for setting up an active connection, even after placing the machine running Apex DC++ in the DMZ, I canneither download nor search. I had to set myself up in passive mode but I think I'm limiting myself there. Have I got this wrong? (probably).

Thanks in advance.

If I set myself up in passive mode behind a hardware firewall/router, does this mean I cannot download from active users, or can I download from both active and passive users?

Active only so far since there isnt any hole punching in direct connect clients

Maybe this site can help you setup better its the official DC++ webhelp guide

http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/webhelp/get_started.html

if this doesn't help you we help you out here in this thread.

Thanks, Toast, that reference guide was *the best*! I learned how to set up UPnP, upgraded my router's firmware, obtained and ran the tester program, everything's good. Now, I just wish my connections would stop dropping so easily.

Thanks, Toast, that reference guide was *the best*! I learned how to set up UPnP, upgraded my router's firmware, obtained and ran the tester program, everything's good. Now, I just wish my connections would stop dropping so easily.

Glad too hear it, dropping issues can be caused by ISP (Internet Service Provider) not all ISP love Direct Connect some traffic shape connections using P2P software.

Thats why DCDev (core developers of Direct Connect) started to develop ADC (Next generation of Direct Connect) where we address the current issues with NMDC (the original direct connect protocol).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Direct_Connect

In addition make sure your TLS port is configured under connection settings and under settings > advanced > security > there are 3 options with that should be enabled:

Use TLS when remote client supports it

Allow TLS Connections to hubs without trusted certificates

Allow TLS Connections to clients without trusted certificates

Those 3 options should be enabled for TLS (encrypted traffic to be supported that will help you semi defeat traffic shaping if your still stuck on NMDC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_shaping

but keep up the good work and ask any thing if you have questions or issues that you feel should be addressed.

Regards Toast

Edited by Toast

Thanks very much for all the excellent info. I made the changes you recommended. Only one item, the first one, actually needed changing; the other two were correctly set. Time will tell if a difference was made, but I've no doubt about it.

Since everything else seems to be working just as it should, my main interest is accessibility, or ease thereof. So far, the only two issues I've found are the ones I reported about--that being, the TAB key navigation skipping the search results list in the search pane and the area at the bottom of the screen showing file transfer activity on the main screen. I can't think of how or why this would have been omitted, so I can only think it was a minor oversight when setting up the next navigation pointer on the screen. I've encountered situations exactly like this before, and it's always turned out to be just this way--the pointer for next navigation had not been updated to include the new window control ID or whatever it is that indicates next window in a list of TAB-able windows.

Now, for my next trick, and this has absolutely nothing to do with support, is to get everybody in the world to standardize on filenames so the TTH system will work when trying to find alternate download sources! :whistling:

Now, for my next trick, and this has absolutely nothing to do with support, is to get everybody in the world to standardize on filenames so the TTH system will work when trying to find alternate download sources! :whistling:

TTH actually matches the file itself even if it has been renamed aslong as no bytes are change it will still have the same TTH Root :( so it really doesn't matter if it was renamed as long as it hasn't been tempered with :)

TTH actually matches the file itself even if it has been renamed aslong as no bytes are change it will still have the same TTH Root smile.gif so it really doesn't matter if it was renamed as long as it hasn't been tempered with smile.gif

Learn somethin' new in here every hour!