bookbagger

Accessibility Considerations

5 posts in this topic

I'm a totally blind user and financial supporter of Apex because I think it's a fine piece of work from not only a functional but also an accessibility standpoint. However, there are a few improvements I'd like to suggest--a few things that maybe the developers and implementers thought about but didn't bother with for one reason or another.

First and foremost of these is the ability to access the other panes on the main screen and the search results list with the TAB key, rather than having to actually click in those windows to change focus. Why doesn't TAB navigation take you through all available panes? I don't know. Seems silly not to include that one extra pane on each window in the list of TAB-navigable panes.

And will somebody please explain to me what the purpose of the combo box with the thirteen items in it referring to a user record is for on the main screen? The read-only area I get. The userlist I get. The edit field I get. But what's that other stuff for?

And finally, how about a way to download a file list from another user and not necessarily open it immediately upon receipt? I may not want to read it now, I may be in the middle of something else, and along comes this huge file list wanting to open up, and my machine just slo-o-o-ows do-o-o-own until the file opens.

Thanks in advance for reading this. I hope some good discussion will come out of this message.

This is a very noble request and i think the change should come from a top level not just apex if apex fixes to it becomes more accessible for blind users patches should be sent to sdc so it can go to air and rsx also.

thank you for giving us input

Edited by Toast

OK, that all sounds wonderful. What should I do then? Repost this message in a different forum? Whatever I need to do, I have no trouble doing it, just let me know the best way to go. Thanks in advance.

This is a very noble request and i think the change should come from a top level not just apex if apex fixes to it becomes more accessible for blind users patches should be sent to sdc so it can go to air and rsx also.

thank you for giving us input

OK, that all sounds wonderful. What should I do then? Repost this message in a different forum? Whatever I need to do, I have no trouble doing it, just let me know the best way to go. Thanks in advance.

We can do it right here since the StrongDC++ Developer is in this forum also, i know DC++ already have accessibility helpers for blind since we had that request awhile back ago but start making a small list of things that are not really working for you and post them here i noticed that you already posted some in your initial post that should give Crise and Big Muscle something to go on :whistling:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/dcplusplus/+bug/195209

Here is some patches that are already included in the next DC++ that might helpout for any client developer