benb

Run ApexDC through Proxy

7 posts in this topic

You can run it through proxy only if it is a Socks proxy. Just set the information about proxy in connection settings - outgoing connections - and set passive mode.

Any ideas how I can get an incoming connection to work in direct connect mode? I tried proxifier but it only works in passive mode.

You can run it through proxy only if it is a Socks proxy. Just set the information about proxy in connection settings - outgoing connections - and set passive mode.

So there is no way to use apex with Http proxy? What is the difference between the two?

HTTP is a completely different protocol than NMDC/ADC.

this wiki article gives a high level view of the differences. in relation to having an active connection over a proxy server, it would be possible by setting up a reverse socks proxy however you will still need to open the port the socks proxy is listening on. so one has to ask if you have enough control to pat the proxy port why not just pat the trafic directly to your machine. What im sayig is people genreally use proxies because they have no control over the firewall policy i.e. uni. to get DC to work in active mode you need to be able to update the firewall rule base weather using a proxy or not. The only benefit i could see of using a proxy would be to try and create a load balancing dc client.

could be interesting to see if this has been done. proxy all Get and (U)Get(Z)Block commands to one or more backed servers with shared storage. this could be split between you sending and receiving a get to split up/download and all other commands to your laptop. this would allow you to have a server to do actual up and down load and a client to do seraching and chating. wonder if anyone has done something like this before