Guest Toast

Transfer Cap

but here is the question when the quota is meet what should apex do?   9 members have voted

1. 1. but here is the question when the quota is meet what should apex do?

• Close Apex
    • Warn User
    • Alert user via sound
    • Visual Progress bar

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 posts in this topic

Hey every Apex user here on the forum me and Crise was having a discussion about Apex development and i had an idea from another P2P software called uTorrent on transfer caping for those of you that dont know what transfer cap is here is a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_cap

Many operators have this sort of deal that you get (x) amount of data per month (****ty deal imho) but it still exists and in an effort to help these user on dc we got to thinking what if we made a similar feature for Apex based on the idea in utorrent

but here is the question when the quota is meet what should apex do?

tell us what u think..

p.s this feature is intended for users that has bandwidth limitations.

Edited by Toast

I think that closing the client would be the only reasonable solution, since the user isn't always in front of his PC. Anyway, let them choose what should happen ;)

The function isnt even done yet this article is about how it would work if implemented so read before commmenting

I voted warn user, but there should be a secondary option to close Apex if the user hasn't responded in X minutes. Overage charges can be a bear.

The function isnt even done yet this article is about how it would work if implemented so read before commmenting

I know that. It was a suggestion for a feature to be addrd at the same time. They seem to be related.

that part is easily fixed but its not relevant to what should happen at moment of quota fill

Looks like a good idea. When you reach a limit your bandwidth is cut to around 32kbsp/32kbps with most isps. You can imagine what possibilities you'll get after that so i would suggest to freeze all downloads and inform a user how much data in total was downloaded this month (limits reset by the end of each month) - dont close it, not all users will set up their clients to use the maximum. That can also help a user to calculate how much data Apex can download monthly without risking slowing down other internet applications.

I vote for "Warn user" with appropriate msg (and all dlls freeze). When our user will set up Apex to download let's say 5GB (where user still will be able stay in hubs and chat) client shouldn't close. You can also give a choice to users how they will be notified, sound etc.