Guest Toast

DHT Cloud is Growing

46 posts in this topic

Then turn it off whats the problem ? dont u ppl read what i wrote ?

THE FEATURE CAN BE TURNED OFF !!!

It is "ON" by default

yes, and it can be turned off. It's only your problem that you aren't able to click on simple check box to disable feature you don't want. Maybe you shouldn't use computer at all, clicking is very important need!

RIAA

RIAA? Do you afraid of them? Maybe you share some illegal (copyrighted) material. But it's only your problem! Maybe some RIAA person watches this forum, so now they know that they should check you :-P

Think about the future and just imagine:

If your numbers refer to DHT, then you have absolutely no point how DHT works. The more nodes participate in the network, the less probability that you will be contacted.

100,000 folks pinging and waiting in your "Waiting Users" folder

Pinging? There's no pinging according to waiting users.

How about the ability to BAN users or LIMIT users from making multiple connections through multiple hubs so my Brother/Sister etc. can get my vacation pictures without me having to manually disconnect the other users to free up bandwidth?

But it's already there. Unless you use that old stupid NMDC protocol that has no way to differentiate users.

How about finding out why Taskmanager says ApexDC++ uses constantly more and more memory with every screen update until you minimize and restore it?

ApexDC++? Maybe... but the first DHT client - StrongDC++. Eats at about 35 MB RAM with 5 big hubs and DHT enabled after 12 hours. Currently, it was 22 MB RAM after 2 hours with 2 hubs. Too much for you?

How about speeding up some internal search and display functions?

Speeding up? On my Athlon XP 3200+, 1 GB RAM, it's pretty fast in all operations.

How about fixing it so I can individually limit bandwidth by file or directory so 10 million users downloading a movie don't take it all up?

How about a way to grant a slot to an individual that works? (and select a given amount of bandwidth for that user!)

Yes, of course. So I could set my limit 1 B/s for all users and unlimited for OPs. Very nice feature for fakers! And granting slots? It normally works per user basis.

Instead of thinking only for yourself stealing from me

Stealing from you? Maybe you should stop using p2p networks at all, because it's about sharing. If you think that downloading from you is sharing than go away.

And next time... use "Edit" function and don't create unnecessary new posts. But I know that it's really hard for you to click "Edit" button when you aren't able to uncheck simple checkbox to disable feature you don't want. And if you're talking about "USER CHOICE", then DHT IS USER CHOICE. It's only up to you if you leave it enabled or disable it. But you aren't able to disable it, then sorry, but we can't help you.

You are adding a MAJOR feature without their knowledge!
Without their knowledge? It's not true! You're only trying persuade us that it's that. There was a post in my forum that it will be implemented. There is post in this forum about DHT, there is post on ADCPortal, there has been many discussion about DHT mainly in public hubs, there is entry about DHT in brief changelog and milion entries about DHT in detailed changelog, there was a public beta informing what DHT is, DHT Search engine is mentioned on StrongDC++ main page etc. So without whom knowledge? It's your problem that you are ignorant and ignore all stuff informing about DHT.

I have the ONLY copy of a photo I took that 10,000 users want. Tell me exactly what is going to happen?

In case, it's not some some very huge photo, nothing will happen. But let's say about movie/DVD image. If there is more (more than 10 - 20) users in DHT and 10000 starts searching for that movie/DVD image, there is a big probability that search request will never get to you. And what happens when that users want to download (after searching) that movie? It will be the same as you would be in hub where 10000 users wants your file. And you said something about multiplying, so it was only your bad theory which applies only for hub cases with O(N) complexity, but can't be applied to DHT where complexity is only O(log N).

Answer that if you can in technical detail without emotion. Answer it professionally. Show us plots of projected connection and bandwidth utilization, show us the research you have done already both actual and theoretical. Show us how ApexDC is going to handle 10,000 hits either direction.

I don't have plots with network development, but I have exact numbers. When there was about 100 nodes in DHT, my client's traffic was about 27 MB/12 hours. Now, there is about 12000 nodes in DHT and my client's traffic is less than 17 MB/12 hours.

Show us how segmented downloads will select 5 fast users vs. 5 slow ones.

What does the segmented downloads do with DHT search engine?

And, an aside, you say I can ban a user from my system...

no, I said that there is already "feature" which disallows what you wanted - same user downloading from you twice because he is in multiple hubs. Ban system will never be implemented, because this is SHARING application. If you don't want to share than turn your client off!

turn DC++ into TORRENT...

You still talk about torrent, but torrent and DHT are two completely different and independent things. Maybe you should learn before complaining.

I'm sorry, but this topic is about DHT search engine. You put some your opinions about it and I showed you that you were completely wrong (like bandwidth usage, search flooding etc). So then you just ignored my proves and start talking about things which aren't subject of this topic (extra slots, banning users etc.) So if you don't want to argument about things you started about then I don't really understand why you started to complain here.

"My Will Be Done" is your mindset. I suppose that is the reason you also don't provide the user info in the Search Spy area too

yes, you are right here! You should realize that you are in open source world and if you don't like it, just download sources and modify it yourself. And about Search Spy? There's no info, because protocol doesn't send other things then that it displays - another things you don't know about and start talking about it.

You can't prove it because the StrongDC authors just did it the way Apex proposes to do it...

Just the last things. What does this mean? What I can prove? What StrongDC authors did in Apex's way? I don't know if I understand you correctly, so I'm asking first.

Excellent suggestion in doing it myself... that is IF the source code and such is really what 1.2.1 is all about. Making my own client that satisfies my needs is the best solution. Thanks for that!

whistling.gif

To Lee:

whats the point is having a censured discussion on the forum isnt it better that u delete it so noone can see that users do have input even if its ruff or does everything in your bubble have too look shiny ?

I'm for cleaning up this topic and having it for DHT suggestions only. I don't think we are interested in opinions like "I don't want to share, so remove this feature".

Current status:

DHT Nodes: 14646 (5790 verified)

To Lee:

whats the point is having a censured discussion on the forum isnt it better that u delete it so noone can see that users do have input even if its ruff or does everything in your bubble have too look shiny ?

I haven't censored anything.

Excellent suggestion in doing it myself... that is IF the source code and such is really what 1.2.1 is all about. Making my own client that satisfies my needs is the best solution. Thanks for that!

You know, this is a free world and the source code is there for anyone to take... as for Source being what 1.2.1 is all about I wonder what do you wish imply with this?

To Lee:

I haven't censored anything.

Sounds like a misunderstanding, I have cleaned the useless posts out :P.

So now as BigMuscle stated let's stick to the topic... also to anyone reading this do remember that StrongDC++ 2.30 is the client where DHT debuted in, so it should be pretty obvious it is not in ApexDC yet but it certainly will be at some point just to make it clear.

It should be off by default, otherwise you're violating the privacy of users without them even know about it. Or maybe when the application is launched, it explains that instead of your share being visible to the hubs you choose to connect to, it's now visible to everybody in a global network.

If you are going to have it off by default don't bother -- not enough people will turn it to help grow the DHT network and very few people will take advantage of it.

Also, does the client display that DHT is enabled so hubs have the option to disallow entry?

If the hub blocks DHT people they are lame. Don't tell them.

I think the main issue is people don't understand DHT -- including myself. So again I say this needs to be added -- torrent clients support it why not ADC? If DC wants to get anywhere you have to do as good as or better than torrent clients in terms of download speed and options. Why can't this just be implimented like torrent clients have it implemented? If the user starts downloading a file search the DHT network and see if anyone else has the file you are downloading so the download can go faster? In terms of sharing this would make it so the user already has to have the option to download it from their hub so if they end up downloading part of it from you so what. It's not like you can hide a file thats already out there.

I think the main issue is people don't understand DHT -- including myself. So again I say this needs to be added -- torrent clients support it why not ADC? If DC wants to get anywhere you have to do as good as or better than torrent clients in terms of download speed and options. Why can't this just be implimented like torrent clients have it implemented? If the user starts downloading a file search the DHT network and see if anyone else has the file you are downloading so the download can go faster? In terms of sharing this would make it so the user already has to have the option to download it from their hub so if they end up downloading part of it from you so what. It's not like you can hide a file thats already out there.

BM could have named it virtual hub instead or something its not torrent its a torrentlike system more KAD then anything else and sigh read the spec i provided in the link tired of explaining everything twice over for ppl that are too lazy to read for em selvs btw last stats from the DHT cloud was approx 10k users online so a congrats to BM :mellow:

next step is some UDP Hole Punching and TCP Hole Punching techquies in both sdc and dc++ thats probly dcdevs next goal to implement.

Maybe have the installer go through a few configurations during the install process so the user at that time can choose weather or not to enable it.

Maybe have the installer go through a few configurations during the install process so the user at that time can choose weather or not to enable it.

First actual comment in a long while that was actually good input into thread

BM could have named it virtual hub instead or something its not torrent its a torrentlike system more KAD then anything else and sigh read the spec i provided in the link tired of explaining everything twice over for ppl that are too lazy to read for em selvs btw last stats from the DHT cloud was approx 10k users online so a congrats to BM :mellow:

next step is some UDP Hole Punching and TCP Hole Punching techquies in both sdc and dc++ thats probly dcdevs next goal to implement.

those were my suggestions -- take it or leave it.

i think its every hubowners option to block DHT since trackers can disallow DHT hub should be able to do it themselves also

I haven't read the full post, but why not make the dht thing on by defult, but when you install the app, it should give you the option if you like to keep it on or off.

[edit] I mean, like in the start up wizzad, so it's obvious to users. Maybe dedicate a page to it, explain what it's all about exc.

[edit] most people who use dc++ are good with pc's, I'm sure they can find the one or other checkbox in a menu,

I personally think dht is a good thing. Torrents work a lot faster with DHT on.

Some years back my client of choice was Revconnect and that one had Kademlia built in. So the concept can't be that new or surprising. In no way is it to "violate pre-existing user expectations of the software". It's great the see the feature having a comeback. Well done BM and ofc it should be on as default.

so...how can you run it on/off ?

so...how can you run it on/off ?

there is a checkbox under the advanced settings. something like "publish shared files on dht"...

erm isnt this discussed over and over again ? kinda feels repetitive