Lotus

dc whereto ?

8 posts in this topic

Today, while I was browsing a hub, a new one (for me), I received 2 mass messages (!bc from the same operator) in only few minutes, asking me to download some yahoo password cracker, in reality a trojan, a botnet. Two mass messages, from an OP... about 2000 users online on that hub.

This is the quality of the DC today, I'm afraid. I don't know if this is the proper place but I would like to start an open discussion about how can this things change and what features can be implemented from client side in this respect. A comparison between various p2p protocols, and how to safeguard dc in particular. Perhaps some ideas could be incorporated into the new adc. Perhaps some ideas could emerge from the audience. For example, BM is trying something I guess with his DHT idea. So I provoke all of you that have something to say to a discussion on this things. This will enlighten other not so advanced or beginner DC users, like myself.

So I provoke all of you that have something to say to a discussion on this things. This will enlighten other not so advanced or beginner DC users, like myself.

sigh yeah u seem opinionated but dont think your the first to try this strategy in getting a rise outta ppl.

first off, yeah dc is dying its been dying for years now thats no news. this comes back to the users of the networks out there they wanted quick solutions easy fixes and smart system and now we are in a downwards spiral of information.

take the common operator on dc hasnt got a clue of what clients are legit for usage isnt that fairly bright when it comes to keeping up 2 date with development most of them hasnt got a clue what ADC is.

i can understand your frustration but your aiming it in the wrong direction most users dont pay attention forums so go out on hubs and correct the errors there instead of trying to teach us stuff here cause we been there we done that..

thats my 2 cents

p.s if a hub promotes malware abuse report the hub so the dns gets shutdown cause its not legal to try and get people infected.

Edited by Toast

i can understand your frustration but your aiming it in the wrong direction most users dont pay attention forums so go out on hubs and correct the errors there instead of trying to teach us stuff here cause we been there we done that..

thats my 2 cents

p.s if a hub promotes malware abuse report the hub so the dns gets shutdown cause its not legal to try and get people infected.

I try to do the best I can. But I think the problem is at a higher level. Yes, it is ok to have a good police force, but is even better to have no crimes and need no police. Why DC protocol allows so much 'noise' ? Why torrents for example are much better in this respect ? What can be incorporated from other protocols and what can be left behind from the current DC protocol ?

It seems the new ADC everyone talks about is the solution to DC. But then, I see no ADC hubs. Why hubsoft authors still update their NNMC versions, instead of switching to ADC ?

Ok, you have talked and you know. But me and others are new to DC. You said yourself that most of DC operators today have no clue what client should they use. I include myself in this category. Then, what can we expect from regular users ?

But you don't want to talk to us, because you already talked this... Well, thank you very much. I think informations are very good, and you have to start from somewhere, for example top-down. I would gladly join a forum or a hub that has this purpose. But I can not even find a decent help system in DC clients (other then DC++)...

I just use DC from 2 years. I want to know what is DC. I thought to ask here. Sorry if I was impolite or something.

And thank you for your answer, because you did answer and it is appreciated.

I try to do the best I can. But I think the problem is at a higher level

I Disagree on this but everyone is entitled to their opinion

Why hubsoft authors still update their NNMC versions, instead of switching to ADC ?

The Authors of NMDC softs are kinda like the Dodo birds imho extinct but thats just my opinion there are a number of hubsofts out for ADC they just havent got the market that NMDC had due to ignorance of users.

You said yourself that most of DC operators today have no clue what client should they use. I include myself in this category. Then, what can we expect from regular users ?

Information information it all circles around information flaws i myself run a forum that aims specificly for this problem www.adcportal.com where every news about development issues to general issues about adc are discussed

I would gladly join a forum or a hub that has this purpose. But I can not even find a decent help system in DC clients (other then DC++)...

adcs://devpublic.adcportal.com:16591

The official hub of DCDev where every developer is in but i must warn you to show respect in there for the developers since we are working our best to give you the user the next generation of direct connect.

Again i think its just a lack of information thats spawning your frustration, u kinda remind me of me when i started out back in the day :) thats why i took the time to reply

Edited by Toast

A Client can intergate into av functions a protocol can not dont confuse the two

A Client can intergate into av functions a protocol can not dont confuse the two

I thought adc stood for apexdc++. My bad. If you guys want new users you might want to give them a little nicer welcome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Direct_Connect

this might get u up 2 date with what adc is all about