Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Goralf

"Use Small Send Buffer (enable if uploads slow downloads a lot)"

20 posts in this topic

... as above.

I dont use the limiting functions in the client and I don't use NetLimiter either, as they are banned from a lot of hubs, and I hate to see them misused (all these people that set them to not give out more than 1 kbps in upload)... so this setting was my way of balancing out Downloads/Uploads.

Is there another way of doing this without external software? If not, can this feature be brought back?

:(

on my previous connection i had to had that turned on. so i can see this as a missed feature already.

Correction, not looking into this anymore since it doesn't need to be there :)

"Stolen" from SDC forums:

small buffer size was 1024b (write buffer), but you should try lowering the default value and don't go too low, because it will increase CPU usage.

Hi,

"Stolen" from DC++ forum:

The behavior of the old "small send buffer" and the new "socket write buffer" are entirely different. The old one only limited it to writing a small amount at a time to the socket, the new one actually sets the TCP buffer. This means that the maximum throughput is the buffer size divided by the latency: set it to 1024 and it'll slow everything to a crawl.

So it seems there is no equivalent of small send buffer in DC++ anymore, and that DC++ developpers won't bring back this very useful feature, which could mean reverting to Peerweb for many users :ermm: .

So it seems there is no equivalent of small send buffer in DC++ anymore, and that DC++ developpers won't bring back this very useful feature, which could mean reverting to Peerweb for many users :ermm: .

Looking into it again, then.... (no promises, but i'll be looking into it)

I am not quite sure what is meant here. In Peerweb/Advanced there is a 'write buffer size' which is set to 64 when I have the small send buffer checked or not. Is that what is meant by configuring socket write buffer ??

Not sure if this helps but our NET does allow speed limiters HOWEVER you will get kicked if you do NOT have anything in your description that its limited and the speed its limited too..

Not sure if this helps but our NET does allow speed limiters HOWEVER you will get kicked if you do NOT have anything in your description that its limited and the speed its limited too..

I didnt know we allowed that Sidey, when did we introduce that rule?

:D

So what is the final word (for now) ?

with adsl as we have in Thailand, the lines are 2.5MB/512kb/s and you will lose most of your download speeds without the small buffer setting - so it is a killer feature for our hub.

I dont use the limiting functions in the client and I don't use NetLimiter either, as they are banned from a lot of hubs, and I hate to see them misused (all these people that set them to not give out more than 1 kbps in upload)... so this setting was my way of balancing out Downloads/Uploads.

Hold on Goralf.. you cannot misuse the limiter within ApexDC++, nevermind set it to 1k upload.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I was not really referring to the limiter in Apex/Strong, but to misuse of limiters in general.

Either way, we still miss our "Use small send buffer" feature because it was an easy "on/off" switch and seemed to work really well in Thailand. :)

so is there any chance of this function being added? Is there an alternative workaround? It is a vital feature for us in Thailand

I guess it is in the feature list, which is quite long... But not sure whether in our list or BM one's.

i found the solution: dsl users' download is choked when upload throttles. so all you have to do is enable the "send garbage" option under advanced. that's it! :D

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0