Lee

Released: ApexDC++ 1.2.0 Final

38 posts in this topic

Not all people have the "slots" in their router configuration to forward an additional port.

Forcing people to upgrade, no matter what exploits were abusing in a previous version isn't not cool. People need to be able to make a choice about such things. Not even Microsoft forces you to update or upgrade.

Specifically about your reply:

There's no need to call anyone stupid (like you pretty much did). I tried to make it obvious that I wasn't meaning to offend or attack you. I've reread Lee's post and all it said was that you were going to eventually force the upgrade. Reconsidering the idea never came into play.

Of course the upgrade is necessary regardless of personal feelings regarding older versions, said exploit was being use to ddos the hublists on dc so users couldnt find other hubs therefore bottlenecking users trying to learn dc.

Microsoft also more or less forces an upgrade as well, Its called ending support for a older product. Any time you turn your xbox on to play a game while hooked into xboxlive it forces you to update or you cant play the game.

ALL DC creators should force the upgrade to clients with the REF extension as well.

I am not too happy about one feature of the latest version - 1.2.0 final.

In earlier versions when I downloaded the file list from a user, it would download the whole filelist at once.. and I could browse through the contents with speed.

However, in the currently released version, when I download a file list it downloads the main folders, and upon clicking the folder the application connects to the user again and then downloads contents of the folder (this could take a lot of time... first, for the client to find the small slot and then the amount of data being downloaded)... is there a possible way to disable this..(am I missing something??). I definitely prefer the whole file list download as it is easier to browse through the content.. and I don't have to wait for contents to be loaded every time for each folder.

I possiblly can understand that you'll are trying to reduce the file size and for filelist by applying this feature, but invariably it increases the load on the network as for each folder a download has to be initiated (and with many users this can be a multiplying factor).

Most importantly, we use ApexDC on our WAN network across our city (since we are connected through one ISP), and it's more efficient for us to have the whole list in one call, as our speeds are really fast and the filelist downloads very quickly. BUT, in this version because a connection has to be initiated each time for every folder, I have definitely seen the overall usability fall :angry:

Would request you guys at Apex to please allow this feature in future subversion's - maybe you could provide it as an option!

Thanks

Of course the upgrade is necessary regardless of personal feelings regarding older versions, said exploit was being use to ddos the hublists on dc so users couldnt find other hubs therefore bottlenecking users trying to learn dc.

Microsoft also more or less forces an upgrade as well, Its called ending support for a older product. Any time you turn your xbox on to play a game while hooked into xboxlive it forces you to update or you cant play the game.

ALL DC creators should force the upgrade to clients with the REF extension as well.

Ending support for something or requiring you to patch a game when playing with other people is one thing since everyone needs to be able to see and do the same things. DC hubs are used by all kinds of people with various clients so they are going to have to be compatible with all clients.

If people want to DDoS they will, forcing people to upgrade will NOT stop them.

People should have the choice of whether or not to upgrade.

First, GeekGyan, I am I correct in assuming you are speaking about filelists downloaded from search window. Because with all other filelist requests (ie. from hub user list f.ex.) the whole filelist certainly is downloaded.

Now, Hawkwing, I never thought I'd be saying this either... but I will. You see, we have no obligations of any kind towards users that choose to use ApexDC++. We aren't even required to guarantee that our software is fit for usage for some particular purpose. In other words we aren't required to provide any kind of warranty or even listen to our users for that matter if we don't want to.

To put it in other, less fancy, words: what we choose to do with ApexDC++ is entirely up to us as long as we comply with the terms of GNU GPL.

In this case we have made a choice regarding upgrades to the most recent version of ApexDC++. Whether it happens now or after one bug fix version is also a choice we have to make. When making these choices it's also by our choice whether we decide to inform the users about our plans in advance or not. Much in the same way that it is your choice to either use ApexDC++ or not to use it.

The reasons why we have made our choices have been given earlier in this topic and we see them as perfectly reasonable but if you don't you always have the freedom of making the choice to use another client as I already stated above.

Now, Hawkwing, I never thought I'd be saying this either... but I will. You see, we have no obligations of any kind towards users that choose to use ApexDC++. We aren't even required to guarantee that our software is fit for usage for some particular purpose. In other words we aren't required to provide any kind of warranty or even listen to our users for that matter if we don't want to.

To put it in other, less fancy, words: what we choose to do with ApexDC++ is entirely up to us as long as we comply with the terms of GNU GPL.

In this case we have made a choice regarding upgrades to the most recent version of ApexDC++. Whether it happens now or after one bug fix version is also a choice we have to make. When making these choices it's also by our choice whether we decide to inform the users about our plans in advance or not. Much in the same way that it is your choice to either use ApexDC++ or not to use it.

The reasons why we have made our choices have been given earlier in this topic and we see them as perfectly reasonable but if you don't you always have the freedom of making the choice to use another client as I already stated above.

I'm not saying you have those obligations. I'm not saying you have to do what I say.

All I am trying to do is give you honest, upfront feedback as a user about the decisions you and the development team have made.

If you disagree with something someone says, tell them what you think. BUT BE POLITE ABOUT IT. I've been polite to you and everyone else here. Twice now you've insinuated that I'm stupid or that I don't understand some -unstated- point you want to make. Whether or not I understood this or knew, you should at least give people the benefit of the doubt and tell them what you think they aren't understanding or don't know in a polite, non-condescending way.

P.S.

I realize this is the internet and all that, but there is no reason people can't be polite and civil about things.

Regarding the reported issues... there will always be issues, of course we will reconsider the decision to enforce upgrade in the light of the reported issues. That much should be obvious to anyone who realized that Lee's post was made right after release.

I don't see why in the first place you guys would even consider to force an upgrade... makes open source seem no better than microshaft or whonot

Sigh since no one seems to understand the forced upgrade im going to let the dc developer blog do the talking.

What the update is stopping http://dcpp.wordpress.com/2007/05/22/denyi...ibuted-attacks/

How its doing it http://dcpp.wordpress.com/2009/01/14/dc-ctm-proof/

So enough about the forced upgrade, no matter what modern client you use it will have the SAME updated feature.

Also from the DC homepage

Posted By: pietricica

Date: 2009-03-07 06:32

Summary: DC++: 0.750 is out

This is a project aimed at producing a file sharing client using the ADC protocol. It also supports connecting to the Direct Connect network.

0.750 marks the moment where the migration to MinGW is mature enough to call DC++ a full MinGW compliant application. This release improves the program functionality and how it works on your system. Major enhancements include : openssl fix for older libraries, fixed major known crashes, updated help, minor GUI features, new interface for settings page, and the REF extension for NMDC and ADC that allow peers attacked by the CTM exploit(willingly or unwillingly) to find out the corrupted hub that is used for attacking.

Have fun using DC++ !

I have stayed civil during this. Crise is going to do what he feels is right regardless of user personal feelings.

I had 1.2B, and automatic upgrade to 1.2.0 did not work. I tried at three computers. It said there is problem, someone else uses file (not mentioning which file, I guess main ApexDC++ executable)

Someone mentioned issue about loading partial file lists from users. I had similar complaints from few people. When they download filelist (in usual way) they get just main directory and when they want to open subdirectory, ApexDC++ downloads it separately. That was in 1.2B. The cure was to revert back to 1.1.

About forcing upgrades, well, enough is said. Lots of us think that is bad policy, but it would be as developers want it to be, including their rude behaviour.

When developer qotes that he has no obligations, that is serious, as that quotes are used when there are no proper answers or arguments. It comes to "it is because I say so".

But, here we heard the most ridiculous argument: Microsot forces upgrades by discontiuning his products, so we can do it too. Microsoft discontinues products some ten or more years after they are published and does not force usres to upgrade in any way. EVeryone is free to use which ever version he wants, includig decisions to patch or upgrade.

You discontinue products every month or so, in a way that actually disables ApexDC++ and renders it unoperative. But, as you say, you do that, just because you can.

In few last versions there is even no option to disable update check, so after you published beta versions all people were abusively informed about it, and as they did not want to upgrade to beta, they had to see that popup every time they start program.

In few last versions there is even no option to disable update check, so after you published beta versions all people were abusively informed about it, and as they did not want to upgrade to beta, they had to see that popup every time they start program.

That option is there... just as before.

Someone mentioned issue about loading partial file lists from users. I had similar complaints from few people. When they download filelist (in usual way) they get just main directory and when they want to open subdirectory, ApexDC++ downloads it separately. That was in 1.2B. The cure was to revert back to 1.1.

There is no issue Get file list and Browse file list just behave differently :angry:. (Get file list downloads the whole list while browse does not).

You discontinue products every month or so, in a way that actually disables ApexDC++ and renders it unoperative. But, as you say, you do that, just because you can.

This can hardly be correct as we don't even release a version every month. Also when we do "discontinue" products it is never just because we can.

When developer qotes that he has no obligations, that is serious, as that quotes are used when there are no proper answers or arguments. It comes to "it is because I say so".

Again, this is not the case... when developer brings up licensing, obligations, etc. that simply means that the developer is frustrated and annoyed. Besides more than enough reasons have been given in earlier posts.

There is no issue Get file list and Browse file list just behave differently :angry:. (Get file list downloads the whole list while browse does not).

Ahhhh! now that's where the the solution lies 'Crise'... after reading the above reply I went back and checked on ApexDC.. your right "Get File List" and "Browse File List" do work differently... and rightly 'get file list' downloads the whole list..while 'browse file list' only downloads the main folders and the content is downloaded when you click the folder. (Right clicking on the user gives you both the option in the context menu)

This is what has changed from previous stable version

The reason why I was having this problem is because I was double-clicking the username to see thier list, in previous version double-clicking would invoke the 'get file list' function.. while in latest stable version (1.2) ..double-clicking invokes the 'browse file list' function.

The solution

Now, I just have to right-click on the username and select 'get file list' and it works like before ...

Request of change in the future version

would request you consider this change in upcoming version..

when somebody doubleclicks user name, ApexDC should invoke 'get file list' rather than 'browse file list' ....

why?

Because it's very intuitive user behavior to double click on the username to see their file list .. and 'rightclick>get file list' is not something anybody would think of unless person is testing the product.

Ahhhh! now that's where the the solution lies 'Crise'... after reading the above reply I went back and checked on ApexDC.. your right "Get File List" and "Browse File List" do work differently... and rightly 'get file list' downloads the whole list..while 'browse file list' only downloads the main folders and the content is downloaded when you click the folder. (Right clicking on the user gives you both the option in the context menu)

This is what has changed from previous stable version

The reason why I was having this problem is because I was double-clicking the username to see thier list, in previous version double-clicking would invoke the 'get file list' function.. while in latest stable version (1.2) ..double-clicking invokes the 'browse file list' function.

The solution

Now, I just have to right-click on the username and select 'get file list' and it works like before ...

Request of change in the future version

would request you consider this change in upcoming version..

when somebody doubleclicks user name, ApexDC should invoke 'get file list' rather than 'browse file list' ....

See advanced -> experts only there is an easy solution. :angry:

so whats with the pointless downloading of tth files over and over again? any solution for that?

so whats with the pointless downloading of tth files over and over again? any solution for that?

I don't know, because I have yet to experience the mentioned issue...