mappy

smartwin gui toolkit (from dc++ 0.750)

5 posts in this topic

Is the smartwin gui toolkit (from the new dc++ builds) going to be used in apexDC? Personally, i don't like it.

It will not be used, not at least for now... everything really depends on whether or not I can be bothered learning the new GUI Library.

Also for the time being I still think that the old WTL GUI looked somehow slightly more polished, even though I do like some of the things that have been done with the new GUI (and depending on time and motivation might try bringing few of them over to the WTL one).

Smartwin is really stupid thing. The more clever way would be using wxWidgets framework. I would rewrite it, but I don't have time to do it.

WTL at least looks vaguely windows-native. Smartwin has a kind of uncanny feel about it..

I mocked up the dc interface in vb6, delphi7, and .net winforms, and compared them to both apex and dc 750. It's easy to spot gui inconsistencies when you're looking for them, but i guess it's not really an issue for the casual user. For instance, wxWidget applications to me have always seemed a little out of place.