The_Bat

Net Limiter

20 posts in this topic

I have Net Limiter installed and was wondering since I got the warning message installing ApexDC what a safe alternate is, since I actually use it for almost the reverse of what most would think of using it for (I use it to maximize bandwidth to DC by limiting other stuff e.g. newsgroup downloads).

In StrongDC++ is built-in NetLimiter detector, BigMuscule written on his board, that in 2.0 ver will be built-in DU SuperController detector (including his often crashs in case when is NetLimiter instalated).

Two questions:

1) Are this detectors built-in Apex?

2) If yes, how to disconnect it?

It is important for peoples with assymetrical connections (f.e. in my case 4 Mbps/512 kbps, upload is degreed download and my stupid provider`s monthly down/up (together) limit is 20 GB only).

In StrongDC++ is built-in NetLimiter detector, BigMuscule written on his board, that in 2.0 ver will be built-in DU SuperController detector (including his often crashs in case when is NetLimiter instalated).

Two questions:

1) Are this detectors built-in Apex?

2) If yes, how to disconnect it?

It is important for peoples with assymetrical connections (f.e. in my case 4 Mbps/512 kbps, upload is degreed download and my stupid provider`s monthly down/up (together) limit is 20 GB only).

they are and you can't disable the detections (not currently anyway), but you can disable that startup warning, by disabling "Detect conflicting software" (was renamed a bit from sdc)

they are...

You meen not NetLimiter only, but NetLimiter and DU SuperController in all...

O.K., I will reduce upload trough my router - it`s safe :-)))

Thanks for answer.

Notice: Should be been possible to separate identification string from Apex :-))) Not every one have router with bandwidth shaping...

You meen not NetLimiter only, but NetLimiter and DU SuperController in all...

It's as it came from sdc 2.01, never modified anything related to "limiter soft" detections

and what comes to you notice, read my previous message again...

Question has been this: Is possible to remove the NetLimiter string from connection type? Startup warning is not interesting, but NetLimiter string (any limiter string) is unacceptable for some HUBs...

Question has been this: Is possible to remove the NetLimiter string from connection type? Startup warning is not interesting, but NetLimiter string (any limiter string) is unacceptable for some HUBs...

Yeah, but you still seem to miss something in my post :(

Am I blind? :-)))

Quoting myself, the key part is near the end :(

you can't disable the detections (not currently anyway)

Showing netlimiter in the tag is going to cause many problems for me and for many others as well, I may have to go back to PW ;(

Showing netlimiter in the tag is going to cause many problems for me and for many others as well, I may have to go back to PW ;(

Anyone doesn't seem to get the hint in my post :), but the choice is yours...

I understand that the detections can not be disabled at the moment but it maybe something worth thinking about for the future perhaps BM would be of some help on this.

oh yeah I got the hint but since it insists during install that Net Limiter can cause crashes of DC (or is that scare mongering? :) ) I wanted to see if there was a safer alternate for what I use it for.

It's not crashed mine yet, or SDC or PW I do not know of any alternative at the moment

Net Limiter, can cause crashes, that's true... an alternative would be f.ex. netpeeker...

Net Limiter, can cause crashes, that's true... an alternative would be f.ex. netpeeker...

thank you Crise, I can now stay with Apex

...Net Limiter can cause crashes ...I wanted to see if there was a safer alternate for what I use it for.

DU Super Controler (not with double l in controller) - if is not detected in Apex string, or better idea (hardware solution): bandwidth shaping throught router (f.e. Asus WL 500g with Oleg`s last firmware).

i'll also try this du super controler when i'll get home ....

and to _-0-_ -> if you have 20 gb / month limit at your provider, maybe you'll be able to get around it.

if you are recognized by a MAC address at that provider (here they do it like that) and a router (you can change it's address) .... simply change tha MAC-address of it and then call the provider to tell them that your lan-card is dead and you installed a new one, you want to validate it's mac address .... they'll do it, and the amount of data sent/received by that MAC address will be 0 byte, so you'll have another 20 gb for the month :D

usually it works (worked before not only here), try it if you reach the limit :D