CrazyBerserk

Some requests of a .PDC fan

54 posts in this topic

Sorry for appearing impatient... But can you already tell if the features are likely to be added? Just to know if I shall wait for next release of ApexDC or continue with my search, you know? I don't really like to settle with something less good (because of missing features) than I have now...

(BTW: I'm still talking about all 5 of my requests mentioned and explained in posts above :huh:)

You can't expect them all to be done in one new preview. Just wait, and monitor the releases until all the features you want are available.

And please let us know if you find some client which has them, in order to eventually implement the features faster.

Well, request #1 ("real-time" userlist filter) is already included in preview 0.2.1, very good solution to make it optional. Thanks to the Devs team. :)

Requests #3 (optional 'Refresh filelist' button) and #4 (away message that is capable of multiline and random message) is rather fancy, not very important. Though they both are available in one or another client. #3 is/was i.e. in .PhantomDC++ 1.19c and LDC++ 1.00 v2a, #4 can be found in McDC++ 036.

#2 (a tab completion of nicks that on one hand works with any part of nickname, independent of a prefix, and on the other hand in all windows - as PMs and OPchat windows - that belong to the hub where the user to tab-complete is online) and #5 (real direct downloading), these are the most important requests for me, actually. As for #2, this was only available in .PhantomDC++, as far as I could find out. #5 was, as mentioned above, once a standard feature until DC++ 0.401 and it's mods. Only afterwards it was changed. So this should be found in the source of any older client versions and must only be adjusted to the "Don't share forbidden files" feature present in newer clients.

Here again a links collection to client's source codes:

• .PhantomDC++ 1.19c (outdated): source:
link1, link2

LDC++ 1.00 v2a: source

McDC++ 036: source

DC++ all versions and sources: link

Hehe, I we'll just have to wait. Hopefully Crise will get some of these features implemented in future versions, there is always plenty of stuff for him to do though.

Just thought I'd bring this topic back up and show you our dedication to catering for older DC++ users, so they can convert to a newer client. We're slowly but surely adding requested features in this topic, and one that will be included in 0.3.0 is the filelist refresh button in the toolbar. This is obviously customisation (e.g. you can remove or add it), but I believe having it there by default would be excellent.

Two other toolbar icons to be included will be a shortcut to opening your downloads directory, and to display the winamp toolbar.

Just thought I'd bring this topic back up and show you our dedication to catering for older DC++ users, so they can convert to a newer client. We're slowly but surely adding requested features in this topic, and one that will be included in 0.3.0 is the filelist refresh button in the toolbar. This is obviously customisation (e.g. you can remove or add it), but I believe having it there by default would be excellent.

Two other toolbar icons to be included will be a shortcut to opening your downloads directory, and to display the winamp toolbar.

Can't we make like, f. ex., in Firefox? Each button there can be moved/removed.

Can't we already? What about Settings > Appearance > Toolbar, every available button can be placed and/or removed there.

Or do you mean in such a fancy and graphical way as it is in FF? (I just found that possibility in FF when I was searching for it after reading your post.. ^_^)

Anyway, nice to hear that this thread hasn't been forgotton. Though, I hope also the other features find their way back soon.

You can do that already ^_^

... and no I'm not planning to recode the toolbar customization code ...

Yep, I meant in graphical way. ^_^

@2 - Tab completion of nicknames working in all chat and PM windows belonging to a hub and working with any part of the nickname, not just with the beginning or the first characters behind a [iSP]-prefix

@5 - direct downloading to target drive and folder without annoying and harddisk torturing extra tour via a temp folder ("%[targetdrive]" directive isn't enough since this does only work by drive letter, so it's useless when an NTFS drive is mounted into a folder)

Just wanted to remind in these requests and ask again if they might be implemented. Unfortunately, Crise didn't respond to a (private) message I sent him months ago concerning these features. I was thinking about bugging Phrozen! or BM with it so it wouldn't be all loaded on Crise. But I didn't wanna do it in case he already did some work implementing it. But yeah, no reaction there and now with 0.3.0 not having them I'd again like to know the status, particularly of my requests number 2 and 5 cause these are most important to me - this time an open question.

More exact explanations on the requests - if necessary - throughout this thread, as well as links to sources of clients that had the features built-in, I think I more or less summarized it in one or two of my last posts.

EDIT:

P.S.: And yes, I know I can be a pain in the behind. :P

It's a matter of there being lots to do. If being a pain gets features requests you want implemented then do it. :P

It's a matter of there being lots to do.

I can honestly imagine that, especially since I'm also reading many posts in Feature Requests and Support & Bug Reports section of this forum. I didn't ask for when I will finally have it - I wouldn't dare. I just wanted to have something like a status report to know if I better should bug someone else to get these features. As stated above I'd find it rather unfair to simply ask elsewhere if Crise had already done some work on it, you know?

If being a pain gets features requests you want implemented then do it. :P

As stated somewhere else: If I did know how to code I would have done it long ago. But considering that when I look at the source of .PDC or ApexDC I wouldn't even know where to search for the right files to manipulate; considering that it would take me months if not years until I might be good enough at C++ to code it in a clean, stable and reliable way; considering that I almost got kicked off my studies because I disgracefully failed in another programming language somehow similar to C++... Well, I hope you see my point. :P

Anyway, I don't wanna push Crise or anyone else here. Just wanna know if it's worth waiting and settling down my search. Though, I'd still like ApexDC to be my final choice for me and my users. I really like this client.

Yeah, I'd like to see @2 too ;) It was there in my old client (rmDC) and it makes the things a lot easier, especially when I have to address s.o. in the main chat, and his nick is -=^$$*lookatmyprettynick*$$^=-. I'd rather type "lookat" and hit TAB (a few times if needed), than trying to find the "-=$$" sequence on my kbd ;)

If being a pain gets features requests you want implemented then do it. :)

As stated somewhere else: If I did know how to code I would have done it long ago. [...]

I just noticed that I missunderstood you, Greg. :crying: Hell, sometimes I don't know if my English is too bad or I'm just too tired..

Anyway, YES, if it helps I WANNA be a pain in the ass!!! Maybe I'll be lucky with the next non-beta release..

So, here again my feature requests (started new numbering):

#R1 - Tab completion of nicknames working in all chat and PM windows belonging to a hub and working with any part of the nickname, not just with the beginning or the first characters behind a [iSP]-prefix

-> Thoroughly explained throughout this thread, as number 2 and with a very nice example given by Point_Alpha in the previous post

#R2 - Direct downloading to target drive and folder so downloaded files don't have to be (automatically) moved when finished to their selected destination drive/folder ("%[targetdrive]" directive isn't enough since this does only work by drive letter, so it's useless when an NTFS drive is mounted into a folder). This moving of downloaded files (especially to another drive when it's mounted into an NTFS folder) slows down performance considerably and furthermore you can only guess what makes your harddisks go crazy for several minutes when the DVD image just downloaded is being moved by the DC client. Neither the DC client nor any other standard utility does show you what is currently going on. Not to mention what may happen to the file in case the client crashes while moving...

-> As well explained throughout this thread, as number 5

#R3 - Online alert function that pops up standard PM window from a user as soon as this users logs into a hub when a certain command was typed in mainchat window. Example:

[09:51:09] <CrazyBerserk> /watch prfx.testuser

[09:51:09] *** You just added prfx.testuser to your watch list

...entered in MC will result in a PM popup like this from prfx.testuser as soon as he logs in:

[10:26:21] >>>>>.PhantomDC Watcher<<<<<: <prfx.testuser> I have just come online.

-> This feature was explained in another feature request thread, but I still want it and can't understand how especially OPs can "live" without...

To all the other people reading this: Tell the devs that you want the features as well! ;) A client without just isn't complete!

(And, before you further discuss the features please read the according threads first to avoid double statements. Thank you.)

Regards,

Crazy "PainInTheAss" Berserk

EDIT: I hope I don't forget it: I will re-upload the source code of .PhantomDC++ in case it helps. All other links I gave are down by now...

To all the other people reading this: Tell the devs that you want the features as well! :( A client without just isn't complete!

Oh c'mon, no-one with me here? Am I really the only one still missing things like that?

I like some features, but it's up to the devs to decide whether it should be added or not...

it's up to the devs to decide whether it should be added or not...

Of course it is. But it's also up to us to tell them that we want those features - as long as there are some people with me asking for them.

And as the last months showed, devs rather seem to choose to ignore this thread and PMs concerning this thread. And if nobody supports these requests, they will go on doing that. Hell, I couldn't even get Crise to tell me if it's OK to bother some other DC coder or if he already spent some work on these requests. I just didn't wanna be unfair and ask someone else to do it while Crise might already be working on it. ;)

If being a pain gets features requests you want implemented then do it. :)

That being said, this it what I'm currently trying to do. :D

Painful regards,

CrazyBerserk

I agree, but not too much 'asking'. This weekend ill mod a lil bit, maybe ill look thru the online alert feature, since im a noob, I don't promise anything...

In case you have use for it, on the previous page of this thread I've posted a link to the source code of .PhantomDC, which already had it implemented. Maybe you see more than only a confusing bunch of even more confusing code in it.. :D

Good luck with your coding. ;)

Well, this went really, really sad, I guess. Obviously none of you ever used features that useful and therefore learned to appreciate havning things much easier... Wish ya guys good luck and lotta fun with copypasting nicknames throughout your DC windows and having your harddrives mistreated due to moving finished DLs from temp to target drives and I guess you will simply miss some of your friends since you didn't get notified they just came online. Farewell, fellas.

Crazy, we've said continously that you can't except these feature requests to be implemented straight away. We're pretty much feature-closed for 1.0 until we focus on 1.1. :thumbsup:

Damn, i forgot about this one :thumbsup: start coding right away :D

the what-i-had-thought-to-be-a-simple-copy-and-port-operation is actually much harder(well, at least for me), ill will work more later, now im reading books. (decided to post about the 'status', and posting a 2nd reply since i cant edit my posts...)

Crazy, we've said continously that you can't except these feature requests to be implemented straight away. We're pretty much feature-closed for 1.0 until we focus on 1.1. :(

I am aware of that. And also of that you are mostly spending your sparetime on this client. What makes me sort of angry is that Crise didn't ever reply to my PMs and questions here about the possible status. As I mentioned several times I didn't wanna ask someone else if Crise had already racked his brain about it. But he chose to ignore my questions completely.

By now I have been begging for those features for more than 9 months - being ignored most of the time I think it's only natural to give up any hope.

Furthermore, in a couple of weeks I'm going to leave the campus I live on and where I host my hubs and use DC. So whatever features there will or won't come in the future, I will most likely not have any use for them. Given the current legal situation (MPAA, RIAA, lawyer's infiltrations, "Anti-terror laws" circumventing fundamental freedom and privacy a.s.o.) I doubt that I will use DC in the internet. It's most unfortunate; I only hope that maybe some other users may have benefit of my requested features - if they ever find their way back to the DC community.

So, back to the point: Farewell, fellaz.

And @ifmn: Good luck with your coding. I appreciate you're posting status messages. :(