Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lee

Windows 7 Beta

7 posts in this topic

Microsoft are in the process of releasing Windows 7 Beta to the public (which is why their website is getting hammered).

You can download the public beta early, from Neowin... but you must remember to grab a key when they're released later today. :)

Anybody already using it, what do you think of it?

I personally believe it's much more stable over Vista. :P

Microsoft are in the process of releasing Windows 7 Beta to the public (which is why their website is getting hammered).

You can download the public beta early, from Neowin... but you must remember to grab a key when they're released later today. :P

Anybody already using it, what do you think of it?

I personally believe it's much more stable over Vista. :)

more stable and slightly less resource hungry than vista, but i still hate the user interface :) .

Running it myself. Much better than Vista. However, I run a server and am unable to get Real VNC to work with it :)

Also, D-Tools does not work. I kinda rely on these 2 so I am unsure how long ill keep it.

Running it myself. Much better than Vista. However, I run a server and am unable to get Real VNC to work with it :)

Also, D-Tools does not work. I kinda rely on these 2 so I am unsure how long ill keep it.

Yeah, Daemon Tools not working in really annoying. I'm sure one of the companies will sort it out in the near future.

The performance usage is excellent compared to Vista. Doesn't use anywhere near the same amount of RAM idling.

D-Tools have said they will not support it as its a beta. They supported the Vista Beta, but every time MS released an update it broke it. So they said they cant be bothered with the hassle. Which is a fair point I guess.

The RAM usage is an interesting one, it seems to be proportionate to the total system ram. I have it on 2 boxes. One with 2Gb where the RAM usage is around 500Mb, another with 4Gb and the ram usage is a little of 1Gb. So it seems to use about 25% of your RAM. But it does have good management, as in, when you run a game it drops the usage of windows to allow for the game. I guess it uses RAM when your at desktop doesn't matter so much, what else do you need the RAM for at that point?

as a reporter in a computer magazine once wrote "If you want free ram, take it out and nail it to the wall".

Free ram is just unused resources.

But its very nice to hear that WSe7en having much better memory management, I sure could use that :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0