dayslypper

ApexDC for external HDDs

32 posts in this topic

Well, now I understand why a lot of users on my hub lose their share all the time.

A lot of them own laptops with small internal drives, so they get 500GB or 1TB externals for all their stuff.

I agree that it doesn't take much effort to re-add a folder, but it does mean people have to notice and take action, which is not as seamless as it could be. If the data has to be rehashed, and the share is large, then it could take half a day.

The issues with remembering hash data for inaccessible files are that:

- the client must check if a root folder in the share exists when it creates a file list from the hash data, and

- the client must check if a file exists when a TTH root is requested via search, and

- the hash data may bloat over time with unnecessary data.

The refresh file list command should take care of the latter issue. The first two add a bit of overhead, but probably not much.

This is the case that I forgot to mention.

And this is reason why a lot of users share only minimal limit from internal HDD of laptop.

Nice to see that this issue could be a serious general problem:

Less shared folders from uploaders -> less data for hubs -> worse accessibility of data for downloaders. :whistling:

I don't think so but I would like to be surprised :(

Any news about fixing of this problem?

Anyone want to provide a patch... because personally the way it is now does not bother me at all (and yes I use external hdds), and right now I am concentrating on different areas altogether...

I doubt this has changed so

Make your DCPlusPlus.xml file read only.

Make your DCPlusPlus.xml file read only.

But this is so boring. I must unlock this file everytime, when I want to change any setting. That's all about.

But this is so boring. I must unlock this file everytime, when I want to change any setting. That's all about.

the submit a patch