dayslypper

ApexDC for external HDDs

32 posts in this topic

In ApexDC++ or StrongDC++ is one same problem.

Classic DC++ or CzDC++ don't hane this problem.

They are not useful for users with external HDDs. Why?

We, owners of external HDDs, know very well, that we forget to switch on HDD often.

In DC++ or CzDC++ when I forget switch on external HDD and start program then program unshares these folders for time until folders will be available again. After start of program I see that I share nothing. So I close program, switch on HDD, start program again and shared folders on external HDD are there again.

But by using ApexDC++ or StrongDC++, program unshares folders totally and doesn't remember paths of them. After restart I must go to settings and mark all folders on external HDD again. And this is very very boring.

I tried to convince StrongDC++ developer here (Czech language) but he told that program would share unexisting folders. THAT'S BS! We all know it.

After my explanation there was no reaction.

So I try convince you. :)

First off Big Muscle is the creator of StrongDC which ApexDC is based on, so you should listen to what he says. If its done that way in StrongDC then there must be a reason for it. Also use proper etiquette when on a forum. :)

agrees with spyke

if BM says it cant be done or he wont do it then its probly for the best so don't whine about it

You're talking about BM like about some god.

BM only said that empty folders are shared.

Yes, root folders are really shared but fixing of this issue isn't difficult task. I hope.

just remember,

if you make the DCPlusPlus.xml files readonly - it will NOT save any changes you do to settings, so you must remember to unlock it when you make changes, else they will be lost after a client restart.

And - this issue can be solved, you can take my word for it :thumbsup:

I have the same problem and would like to see it solved as well.

Why would empty folders have been shared? They don't have to appear in file list at all. Just the client would remember that it shares these folders, and, when available again, adds it to share again and raises share size.

The most annoying is not the fact that we must refresh share when we plugin half of dozen of eHDDs :) The 'clever' fix of this problem is *not to hash* unchanged file twice, like eMule and other ed2k clients do. This is made via NTFS iStream,afaik...

The most annoying is not the fact that we must refresh share when we plugin half of dozen of eHDDs :) The 'clever' fix of this problem is *not to hash* unchanged file twice, like eMule and other ed2k clients do. This is made via NTFS iStream,afaik...

When I have to shut down and restart a external, it is really no big deal for me to do to my share settings and just click back on the folders, they come right back up and don't need to be hashed again.

Agree. Hash stays saved and is used after resharing folders so this takes much less time than first hashing.

So fixing of this problem should be really simple.

When I have to shut down and restart a external, it is really no big deal for me to do to my share settings and just click back on the folders, they come right back up and don't need to be hashed again.

I agree it is not hard for me to do, it simply requires me to be there and notice the problem.

However I run ApexDC on my folks computer (I put a link in the start up folder). I visit there every few weeks.

As a result "me to be there" is not a trivial requirement.

Also "notice the problem" should be done much more efficiently by software than a human.

So I would like to add support for not automatically un-sharing folders which become (temporarily) un-available.

1.2.2 - still no change ;)

Learn to have your discs on before booting up apex :o

Learn to have your discs on before booting up apex ;)

This is evident advice of person how doesn't use external HDD regularly. Everyone forget to start HDD before starting of DC sometimes. And this is why we deal with it.

lol yeah your probably i dont own a WD 1TB Elements its really not in my hallway hooked up too my router shared via D-Link Sharepoint must be an optical illusion of some sorts

This isn't a whine but rather a request. It would be really nice if ApexDC++ would automaticly put things back in line if you forget to turn on a hard drive before opening ApexDC++. Not having to rehash the data would be nice also.

Thank you very much for standing up for me. ;)

It works great in DC++ and CzDC++ so I hope that there would be no problem to apply it to Apex.

Making DCPlusPlus.xml file read only works but I must change this thing everytime when I want to change any setting permanently. This is only emergency solution.

Not having to rehash the data would be nice also.

As of now, you don't have to (that is, if the drive letter didn't change, nor did the paths).

It's true that rehashing isn't needed. BUT if you want to re-share hashed folder with many files than you must wait quite a long time to finish of re-sharing.

sigh please mods close this thread since it isnt leading anywhere but whining.

sigh please mods close this thread

I would prefer it isn't.

The suggestion is posted in a feature request forum.

We know it keeps the hash tables, so could re-share when they became available. Safe automatic re-sharing when available would probably also require showing the current share as well as potential share in the setup screens.

It's inclusion would benefit at least some users.

It has not been implemented yet.

Anyone want to provide a patch... because personally the way it is now does not bother me at all (and yes I use external hdds), and right now I am concentrating on different areas altogether...