Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dan

Unable to connect with router

27 posts in this topic

Hi,

I hope someone can help with my problem as I've spent weeks trying to resolve it. ;)

I have a Copperjet 1616 2p modem which I can connect to ApexDC using UPnP with no problems. I have connected a Linksys WRT54G2 router to the modem so that I can get a wireless connection. I have enabled UPnP on the router but am unable to connect to ApexDC through the wireless router. I have tried forwarding ports on the router but this hasn't helped.

I'm using Windows Vista with no firewalls enabled.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I hope someone can help with my problem as I've spent weeks trying to resolve it. ;)

I have a Copperjet 1616 2p modem which I can connect to ApexDC using UPnP with no problems. I have connected a Linksys WRT54G2 router to the modem so that I can get a wireless connection. I have enabled UPnP on the router but am unable to connect to ApexDC through the wireless router. I have tried forwarding ports on the router but this hasn't helped.

I'm using Windows Vista with no firewalls enabled.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Instead of using UPnP, try using firewalled with manual port settings

Instead of using UPnP, try using firewalled with manual port settings

Thanks for your reply.

I've tried this but can't get it to work. I've opened up ports on my linksys router and used these ports in ApexDC with the manual port forwarding but it won't search or download.

Thanks for your reply.

I've tried this but can't get it to work. I've opened up ports on my linksys router and used these ports in ApexDC with the manual port forwarding but it won't search or download.

Hmmm, hope this don't sound like a dumb question, but sometimes, speaking for myself I can overlook the simplest things......is the IP address in the external/wan ip correct?.....not your IP on the router, but the IP handed out by your ISP?

If you are using the new apex build, don't use the get IP link in your settings type it.

Port issues can take some work sometimes so don't get to frustrated, most of the time it is a matter of going back over every step until you find the gremlin, so hang in there.

Hmmm, hope this don't sound like a dumb question, but sometimes, speaking for myself I can overlook the simplest things......is the IP address in the external/wan ip correct?.....not your IP on the router, but the IP handed out by your ISP?

If you are using the new apex build, don't use the get IP link in your settings type it.

Port issues can take some work sometimes so don't get to frustrated, most of the time it is a matter of going back over every step until you find the gremlin, so hang in there.

Yes, the IP is the external ISP IP and the ports are exactly the same ones I entered into the port forward section of my router. If I run the connection test UDP connects but TCP fails - I really don't understand :)

Well the fact that the test is failing would indicate problems with the port forwarding.

Check the following:

1. When port forwarding it is important to enter your internal IP into the router and ensure your DHCP server is assigning that IP to your box everytime (either assign it to do so or manually set it in windows).

2. Apex needs your External IP (NB diff to the router). Enter it into the box as per No. 3

3. If port forwarding you must use manual with Port Forwarding rather than UPnP

4. Ensure you have not entered anything in the 'top' box of connection settings. Leave it at 0.0.0.0

You may want to reboot your router after entering new port forwarding rules and ensuring these details 'hold' in the router.

Once these have been applied, reboot Apex and do not ignore any errors it gives. Let me know of any errors.

Report back should you still have problems.

Ok I've set my IP address on my laptop to 192.168.1.102. On my router under the application and gaming section I've entered the following details:

Application ApexDC++ (also tried ApexDC - don't know if this makes a difference?)

Start port 6881 (Tried different ports)

End port 6881

Protocol Both

IP address 192.168.1.102

In Apex I have the following connection settings

bind address 0.0.0.0

Forewall with manual port forwarding

External WanIP 93.125.248.225

TCP port 6881

UDP port 6881

TLS 0

But still no joy :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help :)

Ok I've set my IP address on my laptop to 192.168.1.102. On my router under the application and gaming section I've entered the following details:

Application ApexDC++ (also tried ApexDC - don't know if this makes a difference?)

Start port 6881 (Tried different ports)

End port 6881

Protocol Both

IP address 192.168.1.102

In Apex I have the following connection settings

bind address 0.0.0.0

Forewall with manual port forwarding

External WanIP 93.125.248.225

TCP port 6881

UDP port 6881

TLS 0

I don't know if this will help but try a little lower port number, I use 1480 tcp & udp

the application name won't make a difference, that is for your use.

You may try binding your address to 192.168.1.102......bind address 0.0.0.0

Please note your IP may change on you every time you start and restart your PC, so you may want to make that a static address, or just check your router every time you restart.

Good luck dude.

Just tried with a lower port and binding my ip address - still no luck. :thumbsup: I've even tried putting my IP in the DMZ which I thought opened up all the router's ports to my IP address.

Just tried with a lower port and binding my ip address - still no luck. :thumbsup: I've even tried putting my IP in the DMZ which I thought opened up all the router's ports to my IP address.

Man.....something is sure enough blocking your ports then, it sounds like you windows firewall....one question, do you have your IP set to static...Your ip on the router I mean.

And here is one thing that I have to do with my modem to router connection.

I connect to the web through PPoE protocal, so I have to bridge my modem to my router, in oreder to that I have to connect direct through the modem to the pc, there is a function in my modem that sets it to bridge mode. This may be something you would want to call your ISP about. Ask them if you are connecting through PPPoE and if so how do you bridge the modem.

If this is the case no matter what you try it won't work until you do so.

You can also try this, go to network connections windows...network connections/Local connections...right click on the local connections hit properties , scroll down to tcp/ip...click it and the hit properties, and if you are not setting it to static hit obtain IP automatic and the same with DNS server, check obtain automatic.

If you are setting your machine to static then you will need to fill all the information.....once again good luck....I just have a hunch you may have to bridge that modem though.

Also ensure your router is correctly assigning that IP to the PC.

Easiest way to do so is to go to cmd prompt and type 'ipconfig /all' (no quotes) and look for the section that says IPv4 Address.

Secondly, ensure you have the ports forwarded and not triggered. Those are 2 different things.

BTW, does the check connection button tell you the ports are correctly open?

The router is definatly assogning the ip I've assigned = checked with ipconfig.

The check button tells me only the UDP port is open.

Firewall isn't blocking the ports as I've turned them all off including the modem's and the router's. Anyhow, if I connect directly with the modem and the firewall is on Apex will work.

I'm thinking at this point Old Indian is right in saying I will need to bridge my modem so will get reading my modem manual and give that a go.

Will report back.

Thanks for your help guys!

The router is definatly assogning the ip I've assigned = checked with ipconfig.

The check button tells me only the UDP port is open.

Firewall isn't blocking the ports as I've turned them all off including the modem's and the router's. Anyhow, if I connect directly with the modem and the firewall is on Apex will work.

I'm thinking at this point Old Indian is right in saying I will need to bridge my modem so will get reading my modem manual and give that a go.

Will report back.

Thanks for your help guys!

Hey Dan if all those other things didn't work, here is my last grab at the straw...In that lynksys router, instead of clicking both on the ports for Apex, try setting one as TCP and the do another for UDP

This little problem is a butt kicker sometimes, we run into it a lot on our hub and I have had a few go rounds with the problem myself, most of the time it was over looking something in the settings either in Apex, or in my windows settings, the router is fairly straight forward.

Also, you may want to just keep playing with port numbers, sometimes the router just won't take certain ones.

Good Luck I'll check back Sunday night.

Tried setting the protocols seperatly too...

Got my money on the bridge resolving it - if I can work out how to set it up!

I think you are using the wrong section in your router settings, to me it sounds like you are using a port trigger setup, that usually doesnt work with dc.

Instead look if you have something called virtual server or similar where you setup one port at a time. Ther eyou should be able to set a port, a protocol and what internal ip to redirect it to.

Ok, after a lot of playing around with the router and the modem I finally got the port to forward. The check connection tells me the connection is ok. BUT now I don't get any search results when I do a search. I've turned my firewall off so I'm not suire what else to check. I've done some searching around about this problem but found no solutions. Would a reinstall of Apex possibly resolve this problem?

Your ports must not be correctly forwarded. Would it be possible to post a picture of your router screen where your input the forwarding details?

Your ports must not be correctly forwarded. Would it be possible to post a picture of your router screen where your input the forwarding details?

Thats a great idea ..........it's either a port config or his ip keeps changing on him....As mine does oh so many times a day on occasion.

I've attached screenshots of the setting for the modem, router, ipconfig and Apex.

Dan, just for giggles put your 192.168.1.100 ip address in the window that says bind address and give that a try....If you haven't tried that yet, that is.

Dan, just for giggles put your 192.168.1.100 ip address in the window that says bind address and give that a try....If you haven't tried that yet, that is.

You are the man! :) Forgot all about trying that

Thank you ever so much for all your help (and everyone who has posted). I've learnt so much with the biggest thing being attention to detail with the port forwarding. I hope this post can help others.

Thanks once again! :)

Is it working now? With Old Indian's suggestion?

I think that was the ticket, it was certainly a step by step process though We do get a user every now and then that no matter what we try, they still can't get fully active. but most of the time it is a matter of not having all the port numbers where they should be and or a windows firewall issue.

I have found that binding the IP to the computer address helps out sometimes....funny how each set up takes a little trick that works for some and not others.

This one was fun though, Dan seems to understand his system......Hope it works well for him

Tried all what you guys said in here, my ports are forwarded correctly, but it still has the same problem, every room I connect to. They all give me the same error message : "** No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it"

Thanks in advance

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0