IVR

Speed Limiter seems to limit speed not right

13 posts in this topic

And again, thank for your prog.

It works pretty fine for months without stopping - and no crashes and errors!

But I have noticed strange behavior of speed limiter in v 1.1.0. It is not a trouble for me, but anyway...

My max upload speed is 4 mbytes/s (LAN, Ethernet, slow home router). When I limit speed to 2048 kbytes/s, real speed falls for 300-500. I set 1000 - get 300-500 again. Set 3000 - and again 300-500.

What do you think about that?

have you read this on the limiter tab ?

* If upload limit is set, download limit is max 7 x upload limit!

* Minimal upload limit is set to 5 x slots + 4!

You are sure this does not apply to your settings?

* Minimal upload limit is set to 5 x slots + 4!

It's all about minimal speed. But I set 1-2-3 mbytes/sec (not a minimal in any way - min is 254 kbytes/sec in my case) and get 200-300-400-500, 600 sometimes, but not value, that I have set.

I speak about upload only.

I have pretty similar issue with limiter. Whenever limits are enabled, my downloads instantly stopping until I disable limiting completely. I have set my upload and download limits to 6500 KiB/s which is a lot higher that mimimum requirement. Any ideas why can this happen? I'm running ApexDC++ 1.2.2 under Windows Server 2003 SP2. Most weird thing is that download starts at good speed for a second or two and then just freezes. Attached is a screenshot which displays everything.

post-9304-126563288583_thumb.png

StrongDC++ 2.30 has completely rewritten limiter code and most of the bug from old limiter are fixed in it. So wait for new apexdc version, it will surely be in it too.

Ok, with 1.3.0 it is not as bad as before. Whenever I enable limits, my download speed is at around 512 KiB/s while upload/download limit is 6500 KiB/s (6,35 MiB/s). As soon as I disable limiting, download speed goes to around 7 MiB/s instantly.

Ok, with 1.3.0 it is not as bad as before. Whenever I enable limits, my download speed is at around 512 KiB/s while upload/download limit is 6500 KiB/s (6,35 MiB/s). As soon as I disable limiting, download speed goes to around 7 MiB/s instantly.

It's a little better, but we'll keep an eye on it.

I'm not sure whether there is something to do with it. There is still some overhead (thread synchronizations, bandwidth distribution...) which doesn't need to be there when limiter is disabled. The higher speed the more overhead is visible.

I'm not sure whether there is something to do with it. There is still some overhead (thread synchronizations, bandwidth distribution...) which doesn't need to be there when limiter is disabled. The higher speed the more overhead is visible.

Not sure what you mean, but if you believe that overhead is the problem, you are probably wrong. Overhead can be like 10% of total speed, so, if I limit to 6500 KiB/s, either actual bandwidth will be 7150 KiB/s, or actual transfer speed will be 5850 KiB/s, depending on realization. But when transfer speed drops to 512 KiB/s, thats 100% not an overhead problem.

That's really weird. I've just tested it again on two files which had multiple sources, and both times it worked exactly as I described. I attached 4 screenshots to show what happens.

post-9304-12673942812_thumb.png

post-9304-126739429486_thumb.png

post-9304-126739430349_thumb.png

post-9304-126739431253_thumb.png

I just tested it with 1.3.1 and it's still there. I also noticed that when limits are enabled, each source is limited to 512 KiB/s. So, if I have 3 active sources, overall speed is 1,5 MiB/s.