Lee

Released: ApexDC++ 1.2.0 Beta

57 posts in this topic

Looks like Santa came early - 1.2.0 Beta is now available for download. This new version is based on an unstable StrongDC++ version, therefore we're allowing everybody to help us test it before we release it as stable. There are performance and feature additions in this update, along with fixes.

Users on 1.1 will be updated using our new auto-update feature (feedback appreciated). If this fails, please download the setup file below.

Download: ApexDC++ 1.2.0 Beta | Donate

Well the beta 521 released to testers was very unstable for me. 525 was fine, so ill test this and see how it goes ;)

Merry Christmas first of all.

Secondly.. Great work. I got totally lucky when read about Lua plugin implementation, can't live without Lua sometimes. Thank you.

Feature: Dropdown menu for favorite hubs button (like newer DC++ GUI, ie. smartwin)

This feature seems to have some kind if item limit, is that correct? I have around 30 hubs in favorites list, but in the dropdown menu I can see exactly 20 items (1-20).

Reordering the favorite list upwards is the solution to get those hubs I want in dropwown menu, but maybe isn't so good, eh? What about adding a spin edit with up / down arrows to favorites frame (somewhere on the button line maybe)? One that would specify how many items to show in menu if the limit exceeds.

Thank you. :P

Fix: Possible crashes & other issues with "Get IP Address" button (might be removed entirely in future as obsolete)

Do not remove this feature as it is essential for ADSL networks that are using residential gateways (those are using both DHCP internal and external IP adress).

In 1.1.0 everything was working right but in 1.2.0 Beta there is a problem. When i click the "Get IP adress button" it returns me my internal class C ip adress which is useless if i want to use "Direct Connection" since i need the external routable IP.

Now, i need to determine and manually type the external IP in the "External / WAN IP" field, but this is annoying.

Windows: Standard Edition

Installing the program is easy. The setup file can be used to install ApexDC++ on a new computer or upgrade a previous version without losing any essential data. More information on upgrading.

Unstable

1.1.0 - changelog

* Setup - 6.00 MB (For fresh installing, or upgrading)

* Binary - 4.78 MB

* Developers - 3.07 MB

Stable

1.1.0 - changelog

* Setup - 5.79 MB (For fresh installing, or upgrading)

* Binary - 4.62 MB

* Developers - 3.07 MB

Archive - Previous releases (obsolete)

Compatibility: Windows 98, ME, XP and Vista

somethings missing, what might be missing, i forget :P

Thanks for the christmas present! :P

-=[ ApexDC++ 1.2.0B Compiled on: 2008-12-24 ]=-

-=[ Uptime: 5 min 16 sec ][ Cpu time: 0:01:05 ]=-

-=[ Memory usage (peak): 70.02 MiB (70.02 MiB) ]=-

-=[ Virtual memory usage (peak): 63.73 MiB (63.73 MiB) ]=-

-=[ Downloaded: 1.83 MiB ][ Uploaded: 20.38 MiB ]=-

-=[ Total download: 203.85 MiB ][ Total upload: 9.95 GiB ]=-

-=[ System Uptime: 44 min 38 sec ]=-

-=[ CPU Clock: 1596.478976 MHz ]=-

:P

somethings missing, what might be missing, i forget :P

I really can't see anything missing...

I believe that's just mistake in the "heading" but will double check and correct as necessary....

Edit: Fixed, sorry about this...

Indeed, the links were correct... just forgot to replace the 1.1.0. :P

just update... 40-99% cpu (1.1 takes 10% average)

What kind of setup do you have... since I can't see any abnormal CPU usage with my installation...

-=[ Uptime: 13 min 2 sec ][ Cpu time: 0:06:13 ]=-

-=[ Memory usage (peak): 56,92 MiB (94,75 MiB) ]=-

-=[ Virtual memory usage (peak): 59,23 MiB (90,46 MiB) ]=-

-=[ Downloaded: 229,99 KiB ][ Uploaded: 43,87 MiB ]=-

-=[ Total download: 115,01 GiB ][ Total upload: 626,46 GiB ]=-

-=[ System Uptime: 4 days 18 hours 52 min ]=-

-=[ CPU Clock: 2658,667214 MHz ]=-

no problems yet... running on vista 32bit ultimate...

looks fine...

more to come

-=[ Uptime: 13 min 2 sec ][ Cpu time: 0:06:13 ]=-

-=[ Memory usage (peak): 56,92 MiB (94,75 MiB) ]=-

-=[ Virtual memory usage (peak): 59,23 MiB (90,46 MiB) ]=-

-=[ Downloaded: 229,99 KiB ][ Uploaded: 43,87 MiB ]=-

-=[ Total download: 115,01 GiB ][ Total upload: 626,46 GiB ]=-

-=[ System Uptime: 4 days 18 hours 52 min ]=-

-=[ CPU Clock: 2658,667214 MHz ]=-

no problems yet... running on vista 32bit ultimate...

looks fine...

more to come

Mine is looking better than ever....probably the best since peerweb I do believe.

=[ ApexDC++ 1.2.0B Compiled on: 2008-12-24 ]=-

-=[ Uptime: 16 hours 35 min 29 sec ][ Cpu time: 0:06:00 ]=-

-=[ Memory usage (peak): 28.04 MiB (35.95 MiB) ]=-

-=[ Virtual memory usage (peak): 30.76 MiB (38.14 MiB) ]=-

-=[ Downloaded: 239.92 KiB ][ Uploaded: 1.54 GiB ]=-

-=[ Total download: 95.18 GiB ][ Total upload: 203.58 GiB ]=-

-=[ System Uptime: 4 days 14 hours 14 min ]=-

-=[ CPU Clock: 2004.607499 MHz ]=-

It works great, for what little I can use it today. My ISP is swamped it would seem so my bandwidth is only like 600Kb/s :P

You're kind of lucky... my bandwidth is 640kb/s in all, and when it does reach that speed, I'm a happy guy.

OK, few things I did notice about ApexDC++:

Bug 1 [not serious]: The "Get IP" button attempts to fetch the IP of the computer. Normally this would be fine, however if one is behind a router, even if that router is configured to port-forward, that will automatically switch him to passive mode regardless of the setting. Since we are talking about the UPnP or manual port forwarding settings, I for one find it natural that the IP should be an internal one, and ApexDC++ should not attempt to automatically switch to passive mode. Automatically fetching the correct IP at startup seems to be working, though.

Bug 2 [VERY SERIOUS]: This only became apparent when I'd forgotten to close my RSX++ before starting ApexDC++. Since I'm behind a router and I'm kind of lazy, I didn't port forward for Apex in particular: it was configured to use the same ports as RSX++. Naturally, Apex popped up saying it cannot open ports, so I opened its settings and switched it to passive mode, then hit "OK". BIG surprise: ApexDC++ still "couldn't open ports" (mind you it was switched to passive mode)... I closed ApexDC++ and opened it again, RSX++ still running, it STILL "Couldn't open ports"... In order to get rid of that error (and implicitly of ApexDC++'s attempt to open ports), I had to switch to "firewall with manual p.f." and manually clear out the TCP, UDP and TLS port boxes. I only find it natural that if it is passive, it should not attempt to open ports at all, regardless of whether or not the port setting exists.

Bug: same as above, "get IP" button returns internal IP instead as the external one (I'm also behind a router).

Please do not remove this feature, I find it very useful.

the get ip button gives me my hamachi ip lol, even if apexdc is set to only use my LAN ip (i have hamachi and vmware ip's aswell)

From the people that have used it, I've got the following feedback:

- the Beta version forces CPU to 100% under certain conditions (I've been unable to replicate or find out the cause, though it has been witnessed)

- the Beta version fails to memorize certain passwords if not doing a clean install (I've been unable to establish the pattern, but this one is also true, some favorite hubs are imported with a blank password)

- the old "Someone is trying to use your client to spam ... please urge hub owner to fix this" is a real problem with the beta; I've witnessed it on almost all installations. Doesn't happen on only one hub software, so it's not a hub-related issue. Also, with Apex 1.1.0 and Apex 1.2.0 beta on the same hub, the beta complains while 1.1.0 doesn't.

- it sometimes happens that upon startup, Apex beta's interface will jam completely then, after 30 seconds or so, get back to normal as if nothing had happened. During this time, everything else but the interface works.

- cleaning up a highly-populated list (for instance, in a search window) is a horrible task to witness if, for any reason, the scrollbar is on the bottom, at the end of the list. It appears as if Apex would clean the list one item at a time, then refresh the interface to display the changes, then remove another item and so on... on less-performant systems, this thing alone can take between 10 and 20 seconds. This, by the way, is not new to the beta. While this is happening, it appears that everything else except the interface works normally.

- if, for any reason, there's a menu opened while there is an avalanche of PMs, for every PM that opens a new window, the menu will go blank, its closing animation will follow, then its opening animation, it will display its contents and the whole cycle will be repeated. This is easy to notice if you are using a mass usercommand, but please do not try it on too many users at a time, as the interface will be completely locked during this time. All the other systems will work normally as far as I could notice.

- the work on the looks of the progressbars is highly spoken of, by the way...

- activating IPGuard with many blocks on a 10,000-user hub is murder on the CPU, but I guess this is not necessarily something fixable at the moment

That would be all for now.

Both issues with CPU and the startup... I can track down, hopefully one is sorted now but the other seems a bit more tricky.

About passwords that is something entirely new... and despite the fact that I change builds weekly if not daily sometimes I have not seen this.

Regarding IPGuard in general, I am having some difficulty deciding what to do about it exactly... personally I'd like to remove it, but if I do I might be pushing the users that use it to using far worse clients (AirDC isn't that bad though and it has similar facility, but I think users will choose the worse options first).

Bug 1 [not serious]: The "Get IP" button attempts to fetch the IP of the computer. Normally this would be fine, however if one is behind a router, even if that router is configured to port-forward, that will automatically switch him to passive mode regardless of the setting. Since we are talking about the UPnP or manual port forwarding settings, I for one find it natural that the IP should be an internal one, and ApexDC++ should not attempt to automatically switch to passive mode. Automatically fetching the correct IP at startup seems to be working, though.

do you have message about version in update dialog? i suppose not

i have similar problem, it appear to be in dc++ too.

SocketException throws WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL (10049)

i'm behind a router (well, behind 2 routers - first gets wireless connection, second share it with pc and notebook), internal ip is 192.168.2.102 and i bind to it, ports are forwarded.

with ip connect it's ok, but when it comes to connect ie to website, it fails.

apex get the correct ip on startup (using version.php information i guess), its just when using the get ip button its not correct (for us that are behind a router).