Lee

1.2 Development Update

24 posts in this topic

It's been a few months since an update has surfaced publically, and so we're ready to release specific information about the upcoming version - 1.2. Initially, we focused on squishing bugs and removing issues that have been reported in our forums. From an end-user stand point, you will see 1.2 work faster and feel more durable.

After reaching a comfortable stability milestone, we focused largely on flexibility. The public hublist interface has been looked at, and we've introduced a few new drop down area in the toolbar to help users. Readable magnet links are now available in our latest private beta builds, automatically parsing the magnet code and presenting a readable link. Furthermore, our plugin system has allowed us to create our very own Lua plugin. Probably the highly anticipated feature for operators, is the new Client Detection Mod (CDM) created by Crise and Adrian (creator of RSX++). Specifically, the new CDM works flexibly with the new ADC protocol (go visit ADC Portal) and has exciting enhancements that OP's will appreciate. We have also merged with StrongDC++, fixing a range of issues found in ApexDC++.

Due to the amount of work (4 months of development) put into 1.2, we are offering people a chance to beta test our product. We want enthusiastic people, who will report feedback on issues or suggestions continuously. Please email us with the reasons why you would make a valued tester.

To those who are interested in applying for tester position, here are few hints:

1. Email that has been thought out, and time been used to write it, gives far better impression that a hasty mail written in less than a minute.
  2. Simple request won't do, ie. all emails with simply "Can I have the beta?" etc. in them will get deleted without a second thought (software testing is a game of give and take, you know. Meaning that we are looking testers, not people that simply want to use the latest developement version).
  3. Write in understandable English (unfortunately, we can't have testers, that can't communicate in English).
  4. And last but not least, the subject of the mail should be: "Beta Application - [forum username]".

Those who are wondering, the last point is there for two reasons, to see if you actually bothered to read this message and to ensure that you have a forum account here. (Any emails not following the specified subject pattern will likely be ignored).

Congrats on the progression of development. Glad to help with this project.

Just heads up... after reading some of the first applications for a tester position I must say some of you didn't quite grasp what kind of persons are we looking for.

For starters an application containing only two lines of flattery is certain to get a rejection and some even wrote only the "Can I have the beta?" even if I deliberately gave it as a bad example.

Some were wondering why we gave you such vague instructions on what kind of application to send. Here is my answer to this, I wanted to see what people think a tester is and what they think are important qualities, skills or experience for one. This because usually those that have potential can bring up the right things about themselves without further instructions.

Just heads up... after reading some of the first applications for a tester position I must say some of you didn't quite grasp what kind of persons are we looking for.

For starters an application containing only two lines of flattery is certain to get a rejection and some even wrote only the "Can I have the beta?" even if I deliberately gave it as a bad example.

Some were wondering why we gave you such vague instructions on what kind of application to send. Here is my answer to this, I wanted to see what people think a tester is and what they think are important qualities, skills or experience for one. This because usually those that have potential can bring up the right things about themselves without further instructions.

** interested in testing/bugfixing any linux clients, prefer gtk over qt but nm, i have to install qt4 stuff on this pc, atm i can only test on gentoo linux gcc profiles : pentium3 & athlon-xp (64 bit's psu dead atm) ps i allready took the source from nc's website a few days ago and synced against the cvs, btw the cvsview seems to be off (cant see commits/etc)? or is there a new link / svn/cvs/bzr ?

This should be good...

Let me just highlight the points of interest in this announcement:

our plugin system has allowed us to create our very own Lua plugin

Smashing.

This news is so good, that I don't even know where to start praising it. Should ApexDC++ LUA have the same declared types as others (say RSX++), thus making scripts compatible, that would be even better news.

new Client Detection Mod (CDM) created by Crise and Adrian (creator of RSX++)

I for one have a lot of respect for Adrian_007 on what he did with that magnificent client. Seeing that ApexDC++ will also implement some of its most useful features is excellent news as well.

We have also merged with StrongDC++, fixing a range of issues found in ApexDC++.

When you say "merged", did you mean "merged merged" or "updated the code base to the latest StrongDC++ version" ? Because when I read that part, I couldn't help looking in the calendar just to make sure we weren't in April 1st again...

I just knew the long silence in ApexDC++ development wasn't slacking off, but hard work so you guys can put out yet another breathtaking version, and this one should really be good... What can I say except for good news and hope the finised ApexDC++ will rock the world.

By the way, would it be too much if I asked you to post a screenshot of the Settings window around the new CDM options? Just so we know a bit what to expect... One measly screenshot should do.

Sounds good, but can you please estimate a time 1.2 might be out for public use???

I am happy to see that the project is being developed even further, but saaaaaaaaaaaaad that not everyone can test the beta version. So sad.

I would also ask: any possible dates for the definite release of 1.2?

Regarding release dates, if I can choose I'll never set a deadline for myself... so all I can tell is that we are aiming fir this Christmas, but that is not a definite time, it might be sooner or it might just as well be later. Everything depends on how much free time I have at my hands and how much of it I am motivated to spend on Apex.

I can already make an unofficial statement, that most likely I'll be taking a longer break after 1.2 is out of the way.... there are many reasons for this and one of them is that for a long time now I have been missing a "bigger picture" regarding future additions and features. In order to rebuild this picture a break is necessary in my opinion.

To those who are interested in applying for tester position, here are few hints:

1. Email that has been thought out, and time been used to write it, gives far better impression that a hasty mail written in less than a minute.
  2. Simple request won't do, ie. all emails with simply "Can I have the beta?" etc. in them will get deleted without a second thought (software testing is a game of give and take, you know. Meaning that we are looking testers, not people that simply want to use the latest developement version).
  3. Write in understandable English (unfortunately, we can't have testers, that can't communicate in English).
  4. And last but not least, the subject of the mail should be: "Beta Application - [forum username]".

Those who are wondering, the last point is there for two reasons, to see if you actually bothered to read this message and to ensure that you have a forum account here. (Any emails not following the specified subject pattern will likely be ignored).

Bummer ... didnt see this message before i send out my email ... sow only the first message at my screen .. thats what you get if you use an old 14" monitor. lets try it one more time with edited subject line ...

A_Alias

Great news, really thinking how you guys find the time to do all this work!!! Clap Clap really.

Me I'll would be really interisted to try the beta to help to make a better remote control system.

see u. good work.

Regarding release dates, if I can choose I'll never set a deadline for myself... so all I can tell is that we are aiming fir this Christmas, but that is not a definite time, it might be sooner or it might just as well be later. Everything depends on how much free time I have at my hands and how much of it I am motivated to spend on Apex.

I can already make an unofficial statement, that most likely I'll be taking a longer break after 1.2 is out of the way.... there are many reasons for this and one of them is that for a long time now I have been missing a "bigger picture" regarding future additions and features. In order to rebuild this picture a break is necessary in my opinion.

Ok, thx for the answer!

You are currently in the pending list of beta tester applicants. When we

wish to promote new testers, you will be the first considered.

I dint get selected :crying:

You are currently in the pending list of beta tester applicants. When we

wish to promote new testers, you will be the first considered.

I dint get selected :crying:

Well pending is far better than rejected.... isn't it?

Well pending is far better than rejected.... isn't it?

Some people are never happy. :crying:

Some people are never happy. :crying:

I'll make up for it by being happy all the time, sound good?

no

lol