alincioaba

connection ok but can't search

7 posts in this topic

hi,

this is my fist post here :)

i have a problem and i really dont know how to solve it. i use apex 1.1, the connection settings are alright (port forwarding, permissions and all), when i click check connection it says connection ok (tcp/udp are set alright) but when i search something (anything) it shows no results. the sharing is 20gb and i have 8 hubs opened. any ideas??? thank you very much

If you do not get any search replies then your port forwarding is not set correctly (asuming you are searching for something that would result in a search reply ofc, (like 'music') .

the thing is that it worked for the first time. when i manually opened the ports 5000 and 5001 (tcp and udp) it worked, but after i closed the program and restarted it... not anymore. i dont know what happened. what if the ports are being used by some other program running in the background? it would normally say connection ok, but i wont get any search results, right???

The client should complain when it starts if it could not open the ports (i.e they were in use by some other application).

I don't know how your net is setup but sometimes the internal ip can change, and then if you had set forwarding from the router it might now go to the wrong computer on your lan?

also if you are using any routers, then you must make your private IP FIXED, if you want the port forwarding table to be valid forever.. the thing is, you created port forward rules on your router, to forward some ports to your private ip, but when you restarted the computer, the router gave your computer another private ip, so the port forwarding table isn't valid anymore..

on your router's configuration page, find DHCP section and see if there is any option like "address reservation" and if there is, create an entry, telling your router to always give your computer the same private ip address, so it doesn't change ever again.. you'll need a MAC address of your computer for this, so go to dos prompt (start button, choose run, type cmd and press enter) and in the dos prompt type: ipconfig /all

find something that says "physical address" and looks something like this: 00-1C-5E-EA-11-4E

if you don't have address reservation on your router, than find "LEASE TIME" and set it to max value.. Lease time is the time during which router will not change your computer's private ip.. but once that lease time expires, the router may or may not change your computer's ip address.. so you'll have some troubles from time to time..

same problem / fix

on the connection test tcp was the only one not connecting

so i only fowareded the tcp port and left the udp unchanged ,

after than i couldent search hubs either went back fowared the udp port worked fine after that