Wizzcameron

merge://

14 posts in this topic

How long will it be before we finally see a DC Client with decent folder sharing options?

the merge:// option has been around forever.. You can simply pull the code from some other open source projects such as FTP servers ect.

for the past 5 years I have been using Gene6 and a freeware app called Netdrive to merge my many drives into a single share...

Works great however it stresses the system resources going through so many programs...

When will we see an Advanced sharing option where we can manually enter dir's and Merge folders at will...

Example

Physical:

C:\Movies

D:\Movies

C:\MP3

D:\MP3

DC Client Share:

merge://C:\Movies,D:\Movies

merge://C:\MP3,D:\MP3

-------------------------------------------

Share List

- Movies

- Music

Would be great to see this finally going into a DC Client ;)

Think this has been requested servral times and denied

yes, and its working very well, if you enable "old sharing interface" its a bit easier to see whats going on,

(one slight bug still exists afaik, in the interface it shows the total share on each folder instead of the individual share, but thats just a minor bug)

all you have to do is to give each of the shared folders the same virtual name, and your ready to go.

wait wasnt this about merging ftps and stuff ;) lol must be tired :(

this is not possible because if you merge 2 folders into one name, you will not be able to recognize 2 different files with same name/path

for example

c:\folder\file.data

d:\folder\file.data

those are 2 different files with same subpath and file name

after merging:

merge://C:\folder,D:\folder

you will have:

\folder\file.data

\folder\file.data

which surely is an ambiguous thing

burek, read the thread, it's already there....

If two folders are the same it simply groups all items into the same folder...

burek, read the thread, it's already there....

If two folders are the same it simply groups all items into the same folder...

If you have the same two folders, what's the point of having the same thing twice?

But if you have two folders with different files but some of the files have the same name, you then have a problem if you try to merge them, right?

Well you shouldn't be sharing the same things twice....however, that aside, if you try to, it will only share them once as the TTH will be the same.

Why would anyone share the same thing twice? Or let alone, have the same thing on 2 different HDD's? What a waste of space, even on a RAID setup you wouldn't share both drives....

that's exactly what I'm saying.. it's nonsense to share same thing twice, but that wasn't the question of this topic..

the question is merging two folders into one..

i still say that there is a problem when you want to merge folders like:

c:\folder1\bla.txt (1 byte)

d:\folder1\bla.txt (101 byte)

even though those files both have the same name, these two folders cannot be easily merged without some implied actions on those files..

i still say that there is a problem when you want to merge folders like:

c:\folder1\bla.txt (1 byte)

d:\folder1\bla.txt (101 byte)

even though those files both have the same name, these two folders cannot be easily merged without some implied actions on those files..

Well, in one sence you are correct, but its no problem really. At least not to create the share list and display it. THe only problem here is for the downloader to know witch file he should take.

making a merged filelist is quite easy. The conflict that you talk about here isnt really a conflict at all as the two files have different THH and thus they can just be listed as any two files (just that in this case they happen to have the same name, and virtual position).

burek, again I ask you to read the topic, it is ALREADY THERE, and works fine. So your argument that it will not work is flawed. It does work.