Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
snadge

Newbie: Vista+Apex=no searches?

6 posts in this topic

Iam new to ApexDC,

I have spent HOURS trying to get DC++ and then APexDC to work

my connection settings are all OK (green on testing) I can join hubs and get file lists (sometimes) and can download from those lists (sometimes) but searches NEVER work... even if im registered? they dont work in TAX FREE HUB either...

Ive heard summit about Vista messing it up that I have to install somewhere other than Program Files AND give it admin privelages????

can anyone help me please?

Vista32bit / Windows Firewall (allowed) / Kaspersky Anti-Virus v7

thanks

Firstly, this will be trial and error as so many things cud cause the prob.

1. Turn off UAC

2. Turn off Windows Firewall

3. Install Apex to a different folder

4. Right click and see to run as admin.

Do these all 1 by 1 and that way you can see which option was causing the problem.

Firstly, this will be trial and error as so many things cud cause the prob.

1. Turn off UAC

2. Turn off Windows Firewall

3. Install Apex to a different folder

4. Right click and see to run as admin.

Do these all 1 by 1 and that way you can see which option was causing the problem.

sorted, ports needed to be set at 1412, i had em set at 12345

thanks for help :(

Hope u didnt follow up on satans recommendation cause its a really bad suggestion to turn of every protection inside windows.

No it's not toast, considering I could hack windows just as easily with protection as without it, the protection protocol's suck.

You can protect windows if you know what your doing, but tbh, any hacker will crack the sh#t out of windows default protection in 5 seconds, so why bother?

Satan's right, actually. The windows firewall isn't considerably better than that in Windows XP, and UAC really is there more like an idiot-proof feature (and I personally wouldn't see why any person skilled with the use of Windows would actually need it), since it doesn't actually block anything from happening... a person that has no idea that clicking "ok" when asked "do you wish to install ... extension?" by IE is bad, they won't have any idea to click "cancel" when asked by the UAC anyway.

In any case, the sollution I recommend for such a problem:

- don't use low port numbers (I use 5566, for instance), and, even if you have a direct connection, do use "Firewall with manual port forwarding" and have fixed port numbers, they're much easier to manage and you can make sure no overlapping occurs

- if possible, don't install ApexDC++ in the "Program Files" folder

- wherever you install it, grant it administrative privileges

- make sure it goes past the firewall(s) (and PS: DON'T use ESET Smart Security in automatic detection mode, it's a killer)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0