MANOS

Bypass UAC

24 posts in this topic

Well if that was possible, there would be no point in UAC (beyond the obvious) and MS would certainly remove the possibility.

Other programs bypass UAC (eg uTorrent, Nero etc). In my PC the only installed program that doesn't bypass the UAC is ApexDC.

Other programs bypass UAC (eg uTorrent, Nero etc). In my PC the only installed program that doesn't bypass the UAC is ApexDC.

What is the point of UAC in your system then? if you use almost all programs that bypass it. Why dont you just turn off UAC?!

I want UAC to prevent programs to get installed without my permission, not to prevent programs already installed to run!

... ApexDC++ doesnt need admin rights to start suffiant it should only need user rights so this problem is fixable the developers just need to bypass UAC..

Edited by Toast

I want UAC to prevent programs to get installed without my permission, not to prevent programs already installed to run!

Yes, but you missed the point. If UAC can be that easily circumvented, don't you think the malicious programs are already doing that to?

Hence, if virus etc want to install on your pc, they'll just bypass UAC anyway.

well older versions of apex didnt need UAC so why does this one suddenly need it ?

Edited by Toast

It's not problem of the UAC. UAC works fine. It's problem of the ApexDC. All the programs I've installed trigger UAC during the installation process, but after the installation they don't trigger UAC when they run. In the installation process they did something in order to bypass UAC when they run. :)

Take Screenshots of it they might understand better then :) i understand u your saying every time i boot up my apex i need to authorize the use of it via UAC never had that problem before with older versions

Ohh, so you dont want to bypass UAC at install. ok, i though apex behaves as it should. but then again i dont have UAC enabled.

This is a known problem, it's not Apex (or Strong in fact), it's an MS problem. Vista saves it's UAC rules in an exe format. It doesn't seem to take account of the fact that the Apex exe has changed, but is actually still the same program.

I thought SP1 would of fixed it, but possibly not, unless your still running the old vista?

Yes, I know that simple app shouldn't need admin rights. But... then tell me why vista doesn't allow setting for example magnet handler without admin rights?

BM, we're not here to understand flawed philosophy(ms have always been stupid). However, if there is a fix available, why not use it?

no, there's not fix... if Apex doesn't require admin privileges, then there will be many topics "Why do I see error when creating magnet handler?", "why doesn't it save my settings?", "Why my downloaded files are lost?" etc...

Make a separate routine for magnetlinks then that is enabled in settings or something

as for settings they are stored in ProgramData\Appname if done correctly on vista

The only genuine way around UAC is through COM moniker as far as I know... simply because you can not elevate an already running process. However, even going through the trouble of learning COM would not help as f.ex. magnet keys are created at program startup... so the elevation popup would still come up almost instantly after application start :)

PS: SDC uses asInvoker (last I checked it did anyways), and we use highestAvailable... there is a slight difference to find that out use google

Edit: since you won't google anyways here it is...

Executables with no need for administrative rights, like Notepad.exe, specify the asInvoker value. Some executables expect administrators to always want maximum access, so they use the highestAvailable value. A user who runs an executable with that value will be asked to elevate only if he is running in AAM or considered an administrator according to the rules defined earlier and must elevate in order to access his administrative rights. Regedit.exe, Mmc.exe, and Eventvwr.exe are examples of applications that use highestAvailable. Finally, requireAdministrator always causes an elevation request and is used by any executable that will fail to operate without administrative rights.

i have an idea, during installation create a persistent registry entry for the magnet handler, and then set the security of the ApexDC++ folder to full access (since the installer is already elevated) this should solve the problems i have read about here...

if changing "administrative" options in apex during runtime, ask for admin then, i have seen some apps do that, which i can´t remember :/

Edited by Aztek

Can't Apex just save everything in C:\ProgramData so we don't have to deal with UAC? As for any setting changes that request admin rights can't you just popup the UAC then? Why can't the magnet thing be installed all the time not just when the program is running? (I don't know what magnet does can someone explain).

its already fixed in dc++ and sdc just waiting for crise to merge with sdc so nothing to do so MODERATORS close thread pls :mellow: