raindrop94

IP Problems - Automatic Change

6 posts in this topic

Hi again - I finally convinced my ISP to stop blocking me. :) I told them that I was going to leave and search for a new ISP. After two weeks of warnings, the boss man finally called me and pretended to look at my connection, made some changes, and everything went back to working.

But now I have another problem!

Is there a program that will automatically change my IP address? I know there are programs that do this when you click on them but I need one that would do this in the middle of the night.

I learned from my ISP that currently they have way oversold their bandwidth and I would assume this is why they tried to stop me from using any P2P clients. But now that they have given me access back, I download at night but something happens to my IP address and it stops.

In the morning I usually have to unplug my Ethernet Cable from the wall or Reboot my system. Is there anything that will do this automatically?

Thanks,

Joshua

What you are describing is a dynamic IP. When it updates the data stops because your firewall does so. Either:

Disable your firewall/port forwarding

Use a service like DynDns so as an address is resolved rather than a number.

OK - I thought I had my Windows Firewall already disabled but I checked and it wasn't. So I will try that and also I will look for DynDns. I will know tonight if it worked.

Thanks,

Joshua

Hi Again,

When I woke up this morning, the same thing had happened. I turned off my Firewall and I loaded DynDNS yesterday. When I opened DynDNS this morning to see what had happened, this is what it said;

05-06-08 00:02:28 - Unable to determine WAN IP. Can't update.

05-06-08 01:22:41 - Unable to determine WAN IP. Can't update.

05-06-08 03:43:10 - Unable to determine WAN IP. Can't update.

I tried to force a refresh of my IP and it said I was not connected to Internet. So I unplugged my Ethernet and plugged it back in and all went back to working. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Joshua

Hi Again,

When I woke up this morning, the same thing had happened. I turned off my Firewall and I loaded DynDNS yesterday. When I opened DynDNS this morning to see what had happened, this is what it said;

05-06-08 00:02:28 - Unable to determine WAN IP. Can't update.

05-06-08 01:22:41 - Unable to determine WAN IP. Can't update.

05-06-08 03:43:10 - Unable to determine WAN IP. Can't update.

I tried to force a refresh of my IP and it said I was not connected to Internet. So I unplugged my Ethernet and plugged it back in and all went back to working. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Joshua

In that case, I am not sure you can use DynDNS. Perhaps try to use port triggering to conteract the problem. But your not gunna have an easy time with this one. My advice would be to get a better ISP.

My brother is running a Linksys Router on his connection and he does not have any problems. I am going to borrow his and see if this will help.