raindrop94

Cannot Download in Any Mode

23 posts in this topic

Hello - I am sure this is not a ApexDC++ problem but maybe someone can help me.

For the last couple of months I have not been able to download anything no matter which mode I select. I have tried Active, Passive, and Passive Worse Case. I can search and it will give me file names but when I try to download I just get Connection Timeouts. And the same thing happens when I try to download File lists.

I am using a Wireless Internet provided here in our area. They have been speeds and when I first joined in Jan of this year I could download Bit Torrents but around the middle of March, Torrents and DC downloads stopped working.

Any Ideas????

I use Panda Antivirus and it is not blocking my connection. I have my Windows Firewall turned off. And I have no routers on my system.

Thanks,

Joshua

Hello,

To narrow the problem, are your nearby friends able to download with torrent and DC++? Do you have a router, some routers share the modem box. For me Wi-Fi is not descriptive enough... Basically, for downloading is responsible the TCP port, also check that Apex is allowed via your firewall software (better use third-party firewall and turn off XP one).

Hello - Honestly I can't answer the router question. I am plugged directly into the wall with an Ethernet Cable. The modem is connected directly to the Dish on the roof that picks up the Wireless Signal.

I have been meaning to go over to my brother's house. He lives just down the road and he has the same internet as I do. He just uses his for email and internet.

Here is the strange thing, I could download Torrents and on DC++ for about the first month I was on this ISP. And then we had a big snow storm and our whole service was down for the weekend. When it came back, I was no longer able to use my favorite services.

I called and complained for about 2 weeks straight, and they suggested one thing after another. Finally they told me, "it's not our problem, P2P file sharing is not legal and we don't have to guarantee it working".

And to answer your last question, I have all firewalls on my computer turned off. I have been using DC++ for about 3 years, I have ran my own hubs, and so this was one of the first things I checked. I am stumped as it all worked one and quit the next. And the only thing I did was turn my computer off and then back on the next morning.

Joshua

Well, I guess you have the needed experience, so if they say "it's not our problem, P2P file sharing is not legal and we don't have to guarantee it working", "it is not your obligation to use their services". Later your brother can change, etc... :thumbsup:

I assume you have tried with checks on "Send garbage on incoming/outgoing connections"?

They are blocking P2P, also, if it was me, I'd ring them and tell them P2P IS legal and they have no right to block it. They can certainly filter the traffic because it saturates a network. But blocking it altogether is not on. Especially considering they are providing a service to the end user. As a result, I'd sue them for not providing the service the advertise, but that's just me.

So if they are blocking it, even "Extreme Passive Mode" will not allow me to download? I have made so many phone calls already to this guy and sent them a bunch of emails I am just tired of it. At this point I am more tempted to change ISPs.

But I also am curious, is there any other sources for downloading movies and such that is not P2P? While I was in Europe for a while, my ISP over there had a really great FTP server that I could download just about anything I wanted. But I have not been able to find any good FTPs here.

And what do you mean by this? "I assume you have tried with checks on "Send garbage on incoming/outgoing connections"?"

Joshua

And what do you mean by this? "I assume you have tried with checks on "Send garbage on incoming/outgoing connections"?"

Joshua

It is a setting in Apex DC++ and most cliens, under Settings>Advanced I think. It should mask P2P traffic.

OK - I tried that and nothing has happened. I do find it strange that I can search but when I try to download nothing happens. Anyway, thanks for your help!

Joshua

OK - I tried that and nothing has happened. I do find it strange that I can search but when I try to download nothing happens. Anyway, thanks for your help!

Joshua

The ISP can stop you downloading in passive yes.

Also, we are not here to encourage illegal downloading, so we cant answer your other question.

Oh one more question, can an ISP block just one user and not another from downloading?

Well I was just thinking. that they would watch the people using large amounts of data. My ISP is not very big and so it would be easy for them to see who does what.

The ISP can stop you downloading in passive yes.

Also, we are not here to encourage illegal downloading, so we cant answer your other question.

True, but we can discuss about FTP and other sources just technically, we cannot know what is stored on each separate server, can we? It is just a user mistake if he accidentally interprets us wrong. :)

The question was what apps can he use. Which we cannot promote.

Also, most ISP's limit heavy users for a period of time, so that may be it.

Apps are not a problem for me to find as they are as coming as the DC or Torrent clients. But if there were some known good FTP addresses I would be very grateful for these. I have tried a few but it was a bigger pain than not downloading at all.

Hello Again - Just a follow up. I just got back from my brother's house a few minutes ago. He lives about a 1/4 of a mile from here and he is on the same ISP. I took my notebook over and tried Bit Comet and I was able to get a yellow light and download files at about 100kb. But I brought it straight home and my status was Unknown. So I would gather that my ISP is just blocking me.

Joshua

Ring them then, but as was previously mentioned. They do not have to provide support for specific applications.

I sent them an email yesterday and told them I want my service unhindered by the end of the month or I am leaving. Since I am also not able to work on the websites I have been asked to do, I need to have a good working Internet service. No reason to pay for something that does not work. Thank you again for your time!

I sent them an email yesterday and told them I want my service unhindered by the end of the month or I am leaving. Since I am also not able to work on the websites I have been asked to do, I need to have a good working Internet service. No reason to pay for something that does not work. Thank you again for your time!

That's the spirit. ;)

Well it is possible your router is blocking all ports or something weird. So it may be user error, so dont be too harsh with the isp eh? they are not there to provide pc support. hehe.

Hi - No router on my computer. Not to sound proud but I don't think there is much room for error on my part. When it stopped working for me in Feb, it happened over night and I did nothing. BUT I took my same computer over to my brothers house and plugged it in exactly the same as here. It's a direct connection into the wall. So same computer and same connection means it's something being done by my ISP.

Joshua

Well, to be indeed 100% sure, can you ask your brother to bring his laptop (in case he uses laptop of course) and try your connection?