sirdani

Apexdc use less memory and cpu!

23 posts in this topic

When peerweb dc++ is running, I can't play with any BIG game because it uses a lot of memory. Some programs (Utorrent) use less than 6MB mem, so please write a normal DC++ client.

When peerweb dc++ is running, I can't play with any BIG game because it uses a lot of memory. Some programs (Utorrent) use less than 6MB mem, so please write a normal DC++ client.

Hello,

1. Please, specify what is a BIG game for you.

2. Please, specify what is "a lot of memory" for you.

3. Please, specify some details about your PC (CPU and RAM at least).

4. Please, let us know do you have any other specific software running.

5. Still, I think that all depends on number of downloads/uploads and network speed. Now I am on one hub, no uploads and downloads, and Apex DC++ uses exactly about 6 or 6.5MB of memory, not having PWDC++ to compare now. When having traffic of course, it will take some more CPU usage and HDD read/write.

6. As with all, you can not have everything. I would prefer a feture-rich, OP-capable and stable client, even if I had to run it only on a separate PC, rather than some crappy childish-suited, gamer-oriented light edition. :) BTW, Skype is not the best game companion too. I doubt that there isn't a good reason, even if the mem usage is high.

There was a similar application - UMD Chat, designed for LAN chatting. Well, it was using RAM nearly as much as DOOM 3! After my suggestion, the RAM used was significantly reduced, just the emoticons were made not to stay in RAM. I translated it to BG soon after that. :)

Edited by Zlobomir

-=[ ApexDC++ 0.1.0.15 ]=-

-=[ Uptime: 10 hours 52 min 12 sec ][ Cpu time: 0:02:06 ]=-

-=[ Memory usage (peak): 6,98 MB (16,67 MB) ]=-

-=[ Virtual memory usage (peak): 14,93 MB (22,11 MB) ]=-

-=[ Downloaded: 2,66 MB ][ Uploaded: 148,76 MB ]=-

-=[ Total download: 183,74 MB ][ Total upload: 427,91 MB ]=-

-=[ System Uptime: 1 day 4 hours 46 min ]=-

-=[ CPU Clock: 3000,170410 MHz ]=-

Connected to: 7 hubs (where chat traffic in most is pretty much constant), no uploads nor downloads atm. (statistics from my WIP version)

and memory/cpu usage is completely a result of: number of hubs connected, amount of traffic between hub and client, number of downloads and uploads and the size of download queue

-=[ ApexDC++ 0.1.0.10 ]=-

-=[ Uptime: 14 min 31 sec ][ Cpu time: 0:00:51 ]=-

-=[ Memory usage (peak): 22.82 MB (117.59 MB) ]=-

-=[ Virtual memory usage (peak): 136.07 MB (136.96 MB) ]=-

-=[ Downloaded: 27.78 MB ][ Uploaded: 1.34 MB ]=-

-=[ Total download: 382.82 MB ][ Total upload: 65.46 MB ]=-

-=[ System Uptime: 1 day 3 hours 17 min ]=-

-=[ CPU Clock: 2605.930664 MHz ]=-

Connected to 8 huge public hubs, downloading two 1GB+ files (with 200+ users each) and uploading a movie. Constant chat. I think that's completely reasonable for DC++ - since it's never been resource friendly.

If you have problems running a game while using DC, you need more computer memory. It doesnt take that much memory.

Hello again things what apexd++ uses:

apex_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Sorry for the hungarian windows...

Connected to 4 little hungarian hubs, and downloading a 700MB AVI file :D

Four Uploading

Down speed : About: 100KB/s

Up: about 20KB/s

Hm, really strange. Now you may give Apec DC++ a chance, the preview version is out! :)

Hm, really strange. Now you may give Apec DC++ a chance, the preview version is out! ;)

I gave Apex DC++ a chance, it uses 40MB memory. When I playing with NFS Most Wanted it runs baaaad

Would you be so kind to let me know the parameters of your PC (esp. CPU, RAM, VGA)? PM me if too personal. I'm guessing that it compensates slower CPU with more RAM usage... ;) There simply can't be another reason. And my lucky guess is that your CPU is Celeron 2.0 or similar.

Edited by Zlobomir

Lower the amount of downloads it can do via downloads page. Reduce the search for alternatives time.. small things help performance. ;)

even if I had to run it only on a separate PC

Ditto..:)

ps.

untitledav1.th.png untitled2da1.th.png

Edited by bïöµï¢

51MB isn't that much, install Windows Vista and You'll understand :)

Socket read/write buffers also affects mem usage of course, but reducing this values may have negative effects on connections.

Number of users on the hubs You're in will affect mem usage, and You'll notice it on really big hubs.

As for CPU usage ... except mention above you can turn off compressed transfers (file >> settings >> enable safe and compressed transfers). This can affect download times of some files - the one that are good to compress (some ISO's for example).

Next Apex versions (based on newer StrongDC++) will probably have reduced resource usage.

PS don't use Opera progress bars - turning them on creates little lags for gui (depending on CPU and number of visible progress bars)

hy

1. in same memory and cpu category

i make a download 4 2 movies an around 5 ppl r taking 1 of the movie from me

i dont have this movie in my share folder (im downloading it right now)

my download folders have no links with my share folders (it migth be a problem if they do)

WHY do they see this movie in my pc? - this is my question

OBS: if i finish the download of the movie and close apex and after open it they dont see the move in my pc

but if i stay open even after i finish download they see it

this make me a big cpu and memory problem i have 80 % cpu on apex and around 300M alocated on apex

(i changed thread apex on belownormal priority to be able 2 open other windows)

now i finished the download on that movie 10 ppl r taking files from me procesor ~10% ram 380M priority normal

2. i use multisegment download and there r a lot of ppl in the list with various download speeds

i woud like to select the ppl i download from in that segment list - at the moment it only alows me to chose the nr of segments

( it starts from 2, id like to be available 1 to)

3. EX: i have in my download list folders with files who dont have a download source (or user) - id like to make "search 4 alternatives"

on the folder not only on each file in it separately

PS: iwe learned not to play big games whyle download (anw not like NFS:D)- its better - i watch mowies and some other ligth activities:D

i have sempron 2500+ 640M ram XP 5200 gforce my conection speed is 30K-3M - so i do have to chose between speeds:)

i use 1M buffers

PS2: hope i didnt bored u 2 mutch:D - i have apex 4 - its mutch stable dont have capital probles with it :)

gl

1) Others can download file You are currently downloading and they will after You finish (until You restart Your client). This is a feature inherited from StrongDC++ (since RC10). You can turn this off only by turning off segmented downloading. What Does it have anything to do with resource usage?

2) ?

3) You can't search alternatives entire folders just single files. It's because TTH checksums are connected with single files not entire folder content. Apex will search for alternative sources every X minutes (config. in Settings >> Queue >> Automatically search...) unless there are already Y sources (Settings >> Experts only >> Max sources for autosearch).

1. i tell u as soon as they start to download the same file i download from me

apex jumps at 80-90% in procesor usage (i barely open a explorer window)

2. id like to chose in my segmented download list the users i download from

(ex if i spot a high speed user i want to chose it to make the download)

(ex i can chose the nr of segments adiacent to a download - i want to chose 1 segment

at the moment the min nr of segments 4 a dwnload is 2)

3. i understood

1. This sounds like it would be a strong DC issue as far as I know, though I do know BM does read these forums as well so perhaps he can help you.

2. This has been talked about in feature request already.

Click here!

Though it's not exactly the same, it's a fairly similar idea where your picking the source that you want to download from for sure. Though Apex is designed and does (most of the time) find the fastest source anyway...

1. still on

2. il move to the topic u pointed me

10x

PS: the idea wos from those fastest sources id like to pick some as stable - at the end of the segment apex shoudnt close the connection and start another but just begin another segment on same connection

at the end of the segment apex shoudnt close the connection and start another but just begin another segment on same connection

It doesn't close the connection... unless you have DC++ emulation enabled on that hub

APexDC indeeduses a lot of memory. Right now I have freshly rebooted computer, ApexDC is conencted only to one DCHUB, tehre is no file transfer, search or any other activity, and it takes abut 15 megs of RAM.

I also have a feeling that as longer it stays up, it takes more and more RAM.

I also have a feeling that as longer it stays up, it takes more and more RAM.

in 90% of all software this is present...it is known as "memory leaking".

I use p-m1,2 GHz with speedstep from 600 to 1200. 512 RAM

I don't thing the Apex uses much memory.

6 MB at RAM

13MB at swap.

do you use swap?

don't you use any "mem optimizers"?

also it can be: "i don't like your language pack" said Apex.

reducing priority on apexdc process usually makes it stop bugging other applications :unsure: